Happy Confederate history month

The Hatikvah Holocaust Education Center in Springfield, Mass. has a very interesting artifact in its possession: an application for membership into the Ku Klux Klan … from Easthampton, Mass.

Earlier this month, Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell signed a proclamation declaring April as Confederate History Month in Virginia. It would have been a footnote in that day’s news, but he made the inexcusable and bone-headed error of not explicitly mentioning slavery in the proclamation. Naturally, he brought down a ton of well-deserved criticism from civil rights leaders and other politicians, and within a couple days had recalled the old proclamation and issued a new one, and apologizing profusely.

Normally we would think that would be the end of it, but these are not normal times. McDonnell is a Republican and subscribes to some sort of conservative political philosophy. He’s a Southerner and there is a growing group of conservatives who have been accused of being racist or “neo-confederate,” and many of President Obama’s most visible supporters are quick to accuse his opponents of racism. Many of us from the North are suffering from what I like to call “the Southern Prejudice.”

This last one could use some explanation: the Southern Prejudice is the tendency among Northerners to stereotype all white Southerners as uneducated, NASCAR-loving, evangelical fundamentalist Christian, rednecked, gun-crazed racists. Former President George W. Bush, despite being born in Connecticut, going to high school at the Phillips Academy in Andover, going to college at Yale and getting an MBA at Harvard is regarded as the archetypal Southerner, along with fictional characters like Boss Hogg from “The Dukes of Hazard” and various cinematic prison wardens from movies attempting to capitalize on the success of “Cool Hand Luke.” Like all prejudices, it is patently untrue.

The reason it is important is because it seems to be an unspoken assumption among prominent political commentators. Thus, we have the fallacious assertions that states’ rights equals racism, or support for secession equals racism. It is a historical association produced by racist politicians in an attempt to prevent federal interference with Jim Crow laws, but it is quite possible to discuss both without any sort of racist intent or meaning.

It is also important because it demonstrates how easy it is to judge others while ignoring one’s own past. The people who immediately jumped on McDonnell have forgotten the forced bussing in Boston that lasted from the 1970s through the 1980s, where the progressive and liberal white people of Boston took to the streets and fought with police to prevent their children from having to ride on the same busses and go to the same schools as black children. Unlike in the South, where public schools were successfully integrated, white parents in Boston started sending their children to private schools – they figured the black parents would never be able to afford. Who commemorates that?

The KKK was once very popular in the North, especially during the 1920s, when its membership in New England rivaled that of the Freemasons. My great-grandfather, Moses Robare, managed the A&P in Au Sable Forks, New York – very close to the Canadian border. He was a Catholic and the local Klan threatened to burn down the store unless he was fired. He was fired.

The race riots of the North in the 1970s are not remembered, nor is the anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant ethos of nineteenth century New England. Northerners are always so quick to accuse Southerners of racism without reflecting on their own racist and intolerant heritage. Who remembers the Pequot Massacre or the Narragansett War? The Puritan persecution of Quakers? The federal government has never so much as apologized for everything it did to the Native Americans.

It is, unfortunately, natural to try to forget the shames and sins of the past. Germany and Japan don’t like their actions during World War II being dredged up time and time again, the English don’t like to remember everything they’ve done to the Irish or the Welsh or the Scots and the North has pretty successfully excised its shameful history – why should the South be different?

I myself have Southern lineage. Northern Virginia is as close to a homeland I have and I am proud of my Southern ancestors. They were Quakers and abolitionists. The Civil War destroyed their land – my ancestor Lewis Pidgeon, then just seven years old, was taken prisoner by Union forces and made to parade up and down some railroad tracks during the battle. Another ancestor, William Williams, was a Unionist and taken prisoner by the Confederacy. The Confederates thought they could get the federal government to pay them much needed hard currency as ransom, but my relatives’ appeals to bigwigs like Salmon Chase and even Lincoln himself – fell on deaf ears and in the end it was the kindness of complete strangers who stood for everything Williams was against that allowed him to return home safely.

That was the Confederacy people like to remember and it was just as real as the Confederacy that existed to perpetuate the most disgusting thing one group of human beings can do to another.

If we in the North can live without our mythology ever being challenged, than we can let the Southerners live with theirs. Or, we can face both our pasts and move forward into a better future.

Matthew M. Robare is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].