Minutemen take on Keene, WNEC over weekend slate

The Massachusetts men’s club lacrosse teams skills are going to be put to the test this weekend, when the Minutemen head to Keene State for a tournament.

UMass will have games against the varsity team of local rival Western New England College as well as Keene State’s varsity squad.

The Minutemen will start the tournament at noon on Sunday against Keene, followed by their second game against host WNEC.

Team captain Robert Morsi, along with the rest of the Minutemen, feels confident about their chances this weekend.

“We will need to have an edge in the groundball stats and do well in rides and clears,” said Morsi. “We will need to capitalize on any extra man opportunities and try to limit penalties.”

WNEC ended their season last year with a 12-6 record in the highly competitive Commonwealth Coast Conference, picking up wins against Bowdoin and Curry. The Golden Bears past performance is not necessarily indicative of a loss for the Minutemen. WNEC is dressing just four seniors, putting the experience advantage in the hands of the senior-heavy UMass roster.

Meanwhile the Minutemen cannot rely on Keene State to have issues with inexperienced personnel. The Owls are dressing nine seniors this year, and after a 13-6 finish to last year’s season, Keene State is demanding respect around the Little East Conference.

Co-captain Brendon Eckhoff is aware of the challenge the upcoming tournament presents, however Eckhoff is preparing for this weekend like it’s just another day of lacrosse.

“Both Keene and WNEC are really good programs,” Eckhoff said. “It’s hard to know what the weekend will bring, but we’re just going into it as another chance to play more lacrosse.”

Eckhoff has been on an offensive tear this year, scoring three goals in UMass’ victory over Rhode Island earlier this month.

The co-captain, however is quick to give credit to the other members of the Minutemen offense. Much of the co-captain’s confidence comes from senior midfielder Jeff Capello

“Capello is one of our best shooters with the fastest shot on the team,” said Eckhoff.

Along with Capello, seniors Mike Baker and John Farquharson are some of UMass’ most dangerous threats in the offensive zone.

“Baker is a real threat on the crease. If he gets the ball you can count on it going in the net,” added the co-captain.

On the other side of the field, the Minuteman defense has been in transition this season. Junior Julian Miller has taken over goaltending duties for the Minutemen, while Morsi continues to be a dominant presence as a defenseman.

“Morsi takes it upon himself to do much of the leg-work behind the scenes to make sure the team continues to function,” said Eckhoff.

The tournament will provide a setting for many of the new starters to prove themselves, as well as an opportunity for younger players to earn their way onto the starting roster.

Chris Gardner can be reached at [email protected].