Settles continues hot start with second conference honor

Courtesy of Temple Media Relations
Forward Bridget Settles of the Temple field hockey team continued her impressive start to the season by earning her second Atlantic 10 Conference Performer of the Week award.

Settles helped the Owls snap a four-game losing streak by assisting teammate Kaylee Keener’s game-winning goal in their 1-0 triumph over conference rival Saint Joseph’s.

The junior continued her success by scoring two goals in the Owls’ 4-1 handling of Pennsylvania and is tied for third place in the A-10 with nine goals.

Settles also earned Performer of the Week honors on Sept. 7 for her two-goal effort in Temple’s 7-0 blowout of Saint Francis and for her goal in a 2-0 win over Georgetown.

Settles’ offensive production has the Owls tied for first place in the A-10, as they travel to La Salle on Friday for their next conference showdown.

West Chester wins in opener

West Chester emerged victorious in its conference opener, defeating La Salle, 3-0.

The Rams (5-7) controlled the tempo throughout the contest, never affording the Explorers an opportunity to establish their offense.

Nicole Fiorilla began West Chester’s scoring 10 minutes into the contest with her goal off a pass from Kate Zunski. The score proved to be all the offense the team would need.

Goalkeeper Kristin Arnold earned her second consecutive shutout, thanks to a superb defensive effort with limited La Salle to two shots on net.

Nancy Stehman continued the WCU offensive production, scoring just two minutes into the second half. An additional insurance goal by Alisha Moran with three minutes left to play sealed the victory.

The Golden Rams dictated the pace of the game, forcing the Explorers to react to the opposition as opposed to setting up their own offensive sets.

Open passing lanes and precise ball movement helped WCU produce 11 shots on goal, with La Salle goalkeeper Emma Ruth stopping eight attempts.

The Golden Rams appear to be a contender in the conference, as West Chester is tied for first in the A-10 with Lock Haven, Massachusetts and the Owls.

WVU travels to Saint Joseph’s on Friday to continue conference play while La Salle hosts Temple.

Hordendorf leads Lock Haven

Lock Haven earned its first conference win of the season, defeating Richmond 2-1 last Friday.

Amy Hordendorf scored in the 15th minute to give the Bald Eagles the lead on a pass from Leslie Ahern.

Hordendorf is off to a fast start this season, ranking first in the A-10 in shots, goals and points, with 55, 13 and 29 respectively.

Richmond tied the game 10 minutes later on senior Dani Pycroft’s fifth goal of the season, assisted by Chelsea Davies.

Ahern scored the game-winning goal for the Bald Eagles on an assist from Hordendorf, sealing the Lock Haven victory.

LHU continues conference play with a visit to the University of Massachusetts on Friday, while the Spiders visit Saint Louis.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].