UMass to host Majors Fair Wednesday

On Wednesday, Oct. 27, the University of Massachusetts Undergraduate Advising and Learning Community Department is sponsoring its annual majors fair.

The majors fair brings in representatives from nearly all departments on campus to talk to students about their programs prior to the beginning of spring registration.

According to one undergraduate academic advisor, Tamatha Gaumnitz, “the majors fair is a great opportunity for students to come and talk to anyone they would want to talk to about potential majors, minors and certificates.”

The fair will take place in the Campus Center auditorium and its first floor concourse between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Gaumnitz said that representatives from the International Programs Office, Domestic Exchange, Commonwealth Honors College, Career Services and the Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success (CMASS) will also be tabling at the fair.

“I think students like the fact that so many different departments are represented, and that the department representatives are so friendly and helpful,” said Gaumnitz. “I think students also enjoy the convenience of the fair. The fact that there are so many departments in one place.”

At the fair, departments are located based on what college or school they are part of.

“Journalism is going to be at the fair this year,” said Gaumnitz. “And I’m really happy about that, because a lot of students were asking about them last year.”

Gaumnitz also mentioned there will be several certificate programs sending representatives who have not done so for past fairs, including representatives from religious studies, culture, health and science and international agricultural studies.

The UMass majors fair has been going on for over 15 years, according to Gaumnitz.

This year, Gaumnitz is working alongside academic advisors Chanthava Chanthavong and Tonya Blundon on the committee to decide on the logistics of the fair, and Commonwealth Honors College will be printing the signs and posters for the event.

Undergraduate advising will also have an advising room at the fair in the campus center’s room 162 for students with general advising questions, such as hiccups with SPIRE or issues within their current major.

Alyssa Creamer can be reached at [email protected].