Minutemen looking at FBS

By Herb Scribner

The Massachusetts football team may be heading to the Mid-American Conference next season, which would put it right in the thick of the Football Bowl Subdivision.

This news comes off the heels of a Maroon and White season that saw the Minutemen not only come close to a victory over FBS powerhouse Michigan, but also compete on a high-profile field in Gillette Stadium.

UMass would join several big-name schools in the MAC, according to reports. The Minutemen would play alongside Temple, Ohio, Northern Illinois and Bowling Green in their divisions, with larger schools like Michigan, Oklahoma State, USC, Oregon and longtime school rival Connecticut not too far away.

The inclusion into the FBS would not happen until 2013, with the next two years being devoted to the Minutemen playing a provisional FBS schedule.

Part of this changed schedule would invoke further changes for the UMass side, which failed to make the Colonial Athletic Association playoffs. The Minutemen could compete at Gillette Stadium while the current one is renovated to fit 30,000 seats. UMass played its first game at Gillette this year in its 39-13 loss to New Hampshire.

A UMass source said nothing has been decided, but the program is open to possible moves in the future. However, the source also stressed that there is no offer on the table at the moment.

Herb Scribner can be reached at [email protected]