Morning Benders set for pre-Veteran’s Day show at Iron Horse

By Andrea Gonzalez

The Morning Benders will be performing at the Iron Horse Music Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 10. The show will begin at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $12.50 in advance and $15 at the door.

Formed in 2005, the four member, indie-rock-pop group began in Berkeley, California and as of recent has stationed their lives in Brooklyn when they are not touring.

Their 2008 first major release “Talking Through Tin Cans” was received with favorable reviews and was named “Editors Pick” for “Best indie-alternative album of 2008” on iTunes. That aside, their raw guitar chords intertwined with incredible Beatles-like influenced harmonies helped to propel their presence to the scene.

The Morning Benders have been traveling between the United States and Canada to promote their 2010 second release, “Big Echoes” under Rough Trade Records. Co-produced by bassist Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear, fans will be able to identify Chris Taylor’s crafty influences slipped in between measures of solid percussion backbone alongside guitar riffs. Although Taylor’s influence is apparent this does not mean that these dudes are taking any steps toward passable mediocrity.

“Big Echoes” is served up with melodies that soar parallel to running guitars mixed with a pinch of bittersweet lyrics. With smooth rhythms and dreamy chord structures, the band’s maturation within their sophomore album is clear. The Morning Benders’ execution of balanced harmony holds a quasi Beach Boys-Fleet Foxes influence. With fine attention to layering rhythms, the band members certainly create fresh tunes with an almost “back-to-basics” approach.

The first song “Excuses” from the album “Big Echoes” is a phenomenal example of the band’s maximization and respect for the decibel. “Excuses” leaves the listener with creamy lustrous sounds, but also a message that they are a force to be reckoned with. They intertwine nostalgia of past memories with melancholy for the future almost flawlessly. In their track “Promises,” they sing “They say it’s only natural. They say we’re coming along just fine. But I can’t help thinking we grew up too fast. And I know, I know, I know this won’t last. A second longer than it has.”

The Morning Bender’s lyrics are nothing to sneeze at and cut to the core of what lyricism should be about. With the band members’ sensitivity towards the creation and completion of a crescendo, it is truly a delight to experience with a set of headphones. This album arrangement leaves an interesting impression to the listener: both satisfaction and a hunger to listen further.

Touring with bands like Grizzly Bear, Ra Ra Riot, Broken Bells, Yo La Tengo, The Kooks and MGMT, the Benders is sure to put on an interesting show. These young lads have great energy but also put interesting influences into the realm of indie-pop-rock music.

Other opening acts include Twin Sister and Oberhofer. Twin Sister is a five-piece band from Long Island, New York. With influences in their music similar to Bjork, this indie-rock group creates danceable and euphoric chord progressions. Lead vocalist Andrea Estella masters the upper range; her voice is assertive yet vulnerable with hints of Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s. In the past, Twin Sister has graced the Northampton area with their straightforward rhythms and entrancing musicianship; Wednesday should once again be a pleasurable encounter.

The second opener is Oberhofer, a group of guys who are unafraid to explore the highs and lows of a vocal octave. Lead vocalist Brad Oberhofer is only a young 19-years-old; combined with backup vocals, this group gives off the vibes and sarcasm of a Pandit display.

The Morning Benders, Twin Sister and Oberhofer are all capable to stand and impress on their own. However, it could be said that the opening acts could prove to be the croutons and bacon bits to any live show goers’ Morning Benders salad. Consider The Morning Benders as a breath of fresh music within the indie-rock-pop genre. Their ability to belt notes in key during live performances will be impressive, especially within a music industry in which sub-par vocals have become the norm.

Andrea Gonzalez can be reached at [email protected].