Neko Case: the cat’s meow

Courtesy Guss Krol/Flickr
Courtesy Guss Krol/Flickr
Neko Case and Lost in the Trees surprised hundreds of eager fans at the Calvin Theater last Friday night when they were treated to not two, but four acts. Lost in the Trees opened for Neko Case and her three sub personalities: comedienne Neko, rocker Neko and poet Neko.

Lost in the Trees, the seven piece indie folk group from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, took the stage at 8:00 p.m. accompanied by a large decorative dinosaur. Their performance was a pleasing balance of orchestral and rock and roll sounds, like a soundtrack to an eccentric, thought-provoking film. The ensemble’s tracks often featured echoing vocals, powerful strings and excited drum beats.

The indie group certainly was not lacking stage presence, either. At times, as many as four band members were banging on percussion instruments, including violinist Jenavieve Varga, drummer Yan Westerlund, singer and french horn player Emma Nadeau and cellist Leah Gibson. Lead guitarist and vocalist Ari Picker gained the crowd’s participation on several songs, while bassist Mark Daumen and cellist Drew Anagnost held down the lower range with bumping, bold bass lines.

Together, the seven group members created a harmonious blend of eclectic sounds. Many of their songs were built on tension and release, progressing from eeriness to resolution. The unique and expressive performance was a fitting introduction to the main act, Neko Case.

Forty year-old Neko Case entered the stage as an image of casualness, rocking dark wash skinny jeans and a navy three quarters sleeve hoodie. Catering to a predominantly middle-aged crowd, Case appeared cool and comfortable at the Calvin.

Next year will mark her fifteenth in writing and performing original folk-rock music. To date, she has released eight albums, including two live albums. She released her first two albums under the name Neko Case and her Boyfriends. Case is also well known for collaborating with The New Pornographers on all five of their studio albums.

Her most recent album is her 2009 release “Middle Cyclone” which features the popular tracks “This Tornado Loves You” and “People Got a Lotta Nerve.” On Friday night though, Case teased about getting to work and perhaps coming out with a new record sometime soon.

Of her three distinct personalities, Case introduced rocker Neko to the stage first. She donned an acoustic guitar to start the show and strummed out a patriotic first tune. As soon as her guitarist started to introduce her next song “Maybe Sparrow,” the crowd erupted in cheers. The classic rock and roll slide guitar lines on “People Got a Lotta Nerve” reached every audience member.

Rocker Neko drove the energy to its peak by shredding her electric guitar on “Hold On Hold On.” Her songs are all short – between one and four minutes – but they are never short of emotion and musical value. Case clearly displayed that she has the art of singing ballads down to a science at the level of the greats like Bob Dylan and James Taylor.

Case’s siren-like voice never once hit a flat note. The red-haired folk-rock star played with an edgy, folk vibe while singing sweet lyrics. As she sang with her bandana-clad back-up singer, their harmonies and lines intertwined with precision.

“Red Tide” was an interesting mix of quick to slow tempos and loud to soft dynamics. Case’s sound was reminiscent of Simon and Garfunkel at times. Her five multi-talented band members complemented her experienced stage presence. Though one of her instrumentalists played banjo, he offered a country feel that was never cliché.

Comedienne Neko was introduced next. She joked early in the show about how she had to keep tuning her guitar because of how “warm” it was outside. Her little vocal pieces in between songs were spunky and unpredictable. Something about her carefree nature was reminiscent to the comedic characteristics of the Barenaked Ladies.

Comedienne Case giggled with her band members randomly throughout the show. The audience found it impossible not to connect with her because of her down to earth vibe; they shared dozens of genuine laughs with the witty singer.

Her most moving personality – poet Neko – was present throughout the entire performance. Case’s deep side contributed ideas such as having to “keep limber on the tight rope of rock.” The honesty that drove her songs captivated the audience.

The poet’s words on “I Wish I Was The Moon” are not self-deprecating, but simply sincere. Case’s perfectly held out notes delivered feelings of longing that tugged firmly at the crowd’s heartstrings.

In her words “this show is funny, dirty and educational.” And that it was.

Amy Larson can be reached at [email protected].