Kentucky wallops Gators with quick start

The University of Kentucky softball team set the tone immediately against No. 5 University of Florida on Sunday afternoon, drilling in eight runs in the first inning en route to a 9-2 victory.

Meagan Aull started the onslaught for the No. 23-ranked Wildcats by hitting a leadoff home run in the top of the first inning. Lauren Cumbess executed a suicide-squeeze with the bases loaded, bringing Megan Yocke home. Samantha DeMartine then grounded back to Gators pitcher Hannah Rogers. Florida, however, attempted to go for a double play, but an error at first resulted in another run for the Wildcats.

With the score at 3-0, Annie Rowlands drove in Cumbess on a grounder and Emily Jolly hammered a two-run double into centerfield. Aull made a second appearance at the plate in the inning, delivering another home run to hang a snowman on the scoreboard for Kentucky.

A double from Jolly led to a Florida error on a sacrifice bunt from Yocke to increase the Wildcats’ lead to 9-0 in the fourth.

Florida got on the board in the fifth on senior Aja Paculba’s line drive to left field. Paculba drove in two runs to make the deficit 9-2 for the Gators. Florida, however, was unable to edge any closer the rest of the game.

While Kentucky will take a breather from the SEC, Florida will face Arkansas this upcoming weekend in a conference matchup.

Tide crashes on SC

In a pitcher’s battle, senior Kelsi Dunne came out on top by throwing her eighth career no-hitter, leading No. 1 University of Alabama to 1-0 victory over the University of South Carolina.

Dunne (18-1) walked two and stuck out 10 while in her second no-hitter of the season. On Feb. 12, Dunne struck out 11 and walked three against Jacksonville State, which has accounted for three of the senior’s no-hitters.

Gamecock pitchers Audrey Broyles and Julie Sarratt put up a fight by only allowing five hits against the Crimson. South Carolina’s defense forced nine Alabama players to remain on base throughout the game. Broyles let up one run in the first after Whitney Larsen’s RBI single brought Kayla Braud home. Braud originally gained a leadoff walk, stealing second and advancing to third after Jennifer Fenton’s sacrifice bunt.

Alabama will next face Louisiana State at Baton Rouge for a three-game series, commencing on Friday.

Bulldogs sweep Skyhawks

Jack Turner Stadium was jam-packed this past Sunday, with over 1,000 fans in attendance to watch the University of Georgia sweep the University of Tennessee Martin with a 6-0 win.

The Skyhawks were no match for the No. 2-ranked Bulldogs. Center fielder Megan Latimer was the only Tennessee-Martin player to get a hit off of Georgia pitcher Morgan Montemayor. The freshman (16-2) pitched six innings, walking two and striking out seven. Senior Katie Murphy came in for relief in the seventh and held the Skyhawks scoreless.

In the first, Georgia seniors Megan Wiggins and Brianna Hesson reached bases due to a walk and a fielder’s choice, respectively. Ashley Razey then hit a two-run single to make the score 2-0. Razey was a crucial component to the Bulldogs on Sunday, finishing 3-for-3 with four RBIs. The junior catcher drove a double to center in the third, scoring Hesson. By the fifth inning, Georgia led 5-0 and Razey snagged her forth RBI and second double of the game with a line drive to center.

Georgia’s victory marked its 37th straight win at home. The Bulldogs will look to continue that streak when they face the No. 10 Tennessee in a doubleheader at home on Wednesday.

Trevor Bray can be reached at [email protected].