Northampton Mayor Clare Higgins will leave office in September

On Sept. 9, Northampton Mayor Clare Higgins will leave office nearly three months early to become the new executive director of Community Action of the Franklin, Hampshire and North Quabbin Regions (Community Action), the Daily Hampshire Gazette reports.

Higgins has held the post since 1999 and was elected to six terms. She announced last month that she would not run for re-election, but at the time was not sure of her future.

Community Action “provides social and advocacy services to over 25,000 people each year in Franklin and Hampshire Counties and the North Quabbin region of Massachusetts,” according to its website.

As executive director, Higgins will lead a staff of 350 and handle a $26 million budget, the Gazette said.

Last month, the Gazette interviewed Northampton residents who expressed mixed opinions on Higgins’ impending departure.

“I think [her time in office] was just all right,” said Bryan Lehr to the Gazette. “She did the best with what she had and was OK overall … Change is always good, though.”

Another resident, Diane Travis, said in a Gazette interview that Higgins’ successor will have “big shoes to fill.”

“I think she had a way of giving out information that was great, she’d have informational meetings at the schools, go into people’s homes and just try to connect with people and let them know what’s going on,” said Travis.

According to the Northampton charter, David J. Narkewicz, the City Council president, will serve as acting mayor on Sept. 10, said the Gazette. Narkewicz, an at-large councilor, will then have to run against former City Council president Michael R. Bardsley in the Nov. 8 election if he wants to retain the post.

Bardsley served on the City Council for 16 years. He ran against Higgins in the 2009 mayoral election, but was defeated by 344 votes.

Collegian News Staff