Dollar$ and Sense: The Truth About Tech

MCT
MCT

Editor’s Note: The following appears as part of a series, Dollar$ and Sense, featuring reports from the class of Journalism 301, taught by UMass journalism department lecturer and internship coordinator B.J. Roche.

In an apartment in downtown Amherst, four roommates sit around their living room on a Sunday evening. Macbooks propped on their laps, they are watching the latest episode of “Jersey Shore” on a big flatscreen TV and completing their weekend homework assignments during commercials. Every few minutes, their typing ceases to answer a text message.

For today’s college student, it seems it is essential to be connected. The classroom has extended into cyberspace. Students often engage with classmates and professors interactively, and complete more research and assignments in the online sphere.

But this constant connectivity is not a cheap commodity. According to re:fuel’s Vice President of Marketing and Research Tammy Nelson, a marketing firm that used to exist as a division of Alloy Media + Marketing, projected annual technology spending among college students, including money spent on cell phones and smart phones, totals $8.7 billion. While technology can seem all-encompassing and indispensable to students, how much does it cost the individual student? And are students even considering these costs?

“I am definitely aware of all the technology around me,” said Lauren Anderson, a junior at the University of Massachusetts who frequently multi-tasks using her iPhone and Macbook throughout the day. “Using these items is so much a part of my daily routine I don’t think twice about how [their use] affects my budget.”

To stay connected, students must have the basics – wireless Internet and cable access, a cell phone, a laptop and subscriptions to a host of services to accompany these devices. Students also face the temptation to upgrade, adding devices like iPads, e-readers, smart phones and MP3 players to their collections as well.

The costs of the basics can add up. In a non-scientific survey conducted among UMass students, students reported costs for the basic cable and wireless Internet package ranges from $80 to $100 per month. Students also pay monthly for cell phone service. Whether on a family plan or individually, students reported that their cell phone bills average between $50 and $70 per month.

Today’s students desire devices that will allow them to multi-task and remain connected on the go. According to Nelson, a marketing firm that used to exist as a division of Alloy Media + Marketing, investment in these technologies is expected to keep growing.

“Technology is an area in which only 21 percent of students say they will decrease their spending,” said Nelson.

According to the 2011 re:fuel College Explorer survey, today’s students own six digital devices on average, and spend 11.4 hours per day using technology. Students report that they spend most of their tech time using computers, watching television or engaged with smart phones. Many of these digital devices, however, require additional services to ensure optimal function and performance, and this is where extra expenses are accrued.

When it comes to mobile devices, the survey revealed that more students have made the switch toward the smartphone. The College Explorer Survey reports a 29 percent decline in cell phone ownership over the past year. Smartphone ownership conversely has risen more than 61 percent, with 20 percent of students planning to purchase one within the next year.  Most smart phones require a data plan for Internet access, and an “overage charge” could be applied if data allowance is exceeded.

With the purchase of a smartphone, customers are also encouraged to buy insurance for their device to avoid paying full price for a new phone if theirs happens to malfunction or becomes damaged. Unlimited text and picture messaging packages as well as the purchase of applications also contribute to the monthly bill, bringing the total to about $100 or more each month.

University of Massachusetts senior Kimberly Garber is aware of the extra expenses associated with owning a smart phone. After recently upgrading from an older version of the Blackberry to an iPhone 4, Garber immediately bought all kinds of apps, covers and a music converter for her car to accompany her new phone.

“I was not paying attention to how much money I was actually spending just to make my phone look cool and useful,” said Garber. “I guess I overlooked the real point of having the phone is to keep contact with people when I need them.”

With so much technology present, some students buy new gadgets that they won’t necessarily end up needing.

“People really have to consider whether these technologies are really worth the price,” said Jarice Hanson, a UMass communication professor who studies the use of technology.  “What’s the point of having a multi-function cell phone, if the high cost of connectivity means that you can’t pay your rent or eat?”

“The lure of technology is seductive,” added Hanson. “People have to take responsibility for their use – most often this is just good old-fashioned common sense.”

Some students claim that they don’t buy into the tech craze as much as others.

“I think technology expenses are getting out of control,” said Kellie McHugh, a senior who said she is conservative with her budget. “Think about it: does the extra hundred dollars you spend each month make your living situation that much more comfortable?”

Catherine Salvaggio can be reached at [email protected].