La Salle remains undefeated

The La Salle women’s soccer team continued its undefeated season, notching a 3-0 win over Saint Joseph’s which pushed its record to 10-0-1 (2-0-0 Atlantic 10) on Sunday.

The Explorers are in the midst of an amazing streak as they have not allowed a single goal in any of their eleven contests this season – the only Division 1 squad, men or women, yet to yield a score.

The scoring began for La Salle in the 39th minute as freshman midfielder Emily Fenton scored her first career goal. Fenton did not wait long to make another impact, getting her first career assist on a pass to sophomore Courtney Niemiec, who put a beautiful shot in the upper corner, increasing the lead to 2-0 just seconds later.

The lead stayed at 2-0 through halftime, but seven minutes into the second half Niemiec struck again on a penalty kick after a foul was committed inside the penalty box. That was all that the offense goalkeeper Melissa Sanger would need as she faced only two shots, turning away both.

La Salle puts its streak of shut-outs on the line Friday as it takes on No. 15 Dayton (10-1-0, 1-0-0 A-10) in an A-10 battle.

Owls still searching

Temple couldn’t put the pieces together as it fell for the second time in as many conference games, 1-0 to Fordham on Sunday.

The Hawks stayed even with Fordham (6-4-1, 1-0-1 A-10) for the whole first half before allowing a goal in the 57th minute.

Temple has now has lost eight of its last nine contests after starting the season with two wins. Offensively, the Hawks have gone through a difficult stretch, failing to register a shot until the second half of Sunday’s game while also only scoring seven goals this season.

The second half of the game saw Temple bring pressure on the Rams as junior Casey Greco and senior Niki Conn both had legitimate scoring chances. Neither player was able to figure out Rams junior goalkeeper Rachel Suther, however, as Suther was able to turn away every shot she faced.

The game marked the fifth time this season Temple has been shut out by an opponent and dropped the Owls record to 3-8 (0-2 A-10). Temple will attempt to secure its first conference victory when it takes on Richmond (7-4-2, 1-1-0 A-10) on Friday.

Rowe, Haycook receive honors

The A-10 announced its weekly award winners on Monday for the week of Sept. 26 through Oct. 2. The week included the first conference action for all teams.

George Washington goalkeeper Lindsey Rowe received the Player of the Week award after leading the Colonials to an unbeaten record for the week. The senior allowed one goal in three games, while also recording 21 saves during that span.

Rowe has now recorded two shutouts in a row, including a scoreless draw against St. Bonaventure and a 1-0 victory over Duquesne, totaling 14 for her career.

La Salle’s Kelsey Haycook was also honored with the Player of the Week award, as well as the Rookie of the Week award after attaining a hat trick in a 5-0 conference victory against Temple.

Haycook’s three goals were the driving force behind the Explorers’ victory and paved the way for the team’s 10th consecutive win. The freshman forward added to her team-leading goal total (nine) and is also the second-leading scorer in the A-10.

Greg Romagna can be reached at [email protected].