Lotus lights up the Calvin

This past Friday, instrumental band Lotus held an absolutely stunning concert at the Calvin Theater in Northampton. After its two opening bands, Sojourner and Keys N Krates, the crowd was fueled up and prepped for motion. The band came on without a word.

Lotus began with a primarily electronic sound, supported by a dramatically building light show. Surprisingly, the main ceiling lights of the Calvin Theater stayed on, holding back the potential of the lighting effects. As Lotus began to layer in more sound, however, the spectacle on the stage began to entrance the audience.

Irresistible dance rhythms emerged from a combination of a live drummer and a supporting percussionist. The remaining members alternated between a wide arsenal of guitars, bass, keyboards and a multitude of other electronic instruments. As the dancing crowd loosened up and the music intensified, the ceiling lights finally dropped, and left the theater illuminated with a dancing spectrum of colors. The percussion transitioned constantly from powered dance grooves, tribal hand drums and even driving metal beats, while the music as a whole synchronized perfectly with the mesmerizing light show.

The detail put into the experience was astonishing. The music shifted effortlessly from one style to another, fearlessly fusing genres from all across the board. In addition to this auditory experience, the accompaniment of the light show seemed to shift colors in accordance with the music. A bright orange light would be blazing through a guitar solo, and then as the music broke down to a mellow club beat, a flood of cool blues and greens would suddenly take its place. The combination of light and sound had the whole crowd swaying, bouncing and dancing in a sea of content.

The musicians charged onward with a machine-like precision and calculation. The band would play nonstop from song to song, and it was near impossible to tell whether the group was playing rehearsed material or improvising. Not only that, but the band transitioned between songs without even exchanging a glance, seeming locked into the presence the band had created as a group.

After a brief set break, Lotus came back on stage with renewed energy. Strobe lights blasted in unison with the bass drum, while swiveling lasers aligned with soaring guitar notes. The spectral rainbow seemed to be spilling onto the walls of the theater, characterizing every section of music differently as it switched moods. The band focused on building its sound slowly, layer by layer, to gradually orchestrate a complex blend of styles that worked to continually excite the crowd. The band’s patient progress in every jam allowed the crowd to hear every layer of sound as it was put it in.

Until the very last song, Lotus pushed the limits of live music. The group effortlessly jumped all the way from funk and retro beats to distorted rock guitar tunes. The band even played a cover of the immortal “Legend of Zelda” main theme. The music demonstrated a bold experimental style, and the crowd gobbled it up to the very last note.

David Kincaid can be reached at [email protected].