Search may be over for new UMass hockey head coach

Courtesy University of Vermont Montpelier Athletics

The Massachusetts hockey team has reportedly found its new head coach in John Micheletto.

Micheletto, Vermont’s associate head coach, has accepted an offer from the Minutemen and could be introduced as the program’s new head coach as early as Monday, said the Daily Hampshire Gazette Sunday.

He is the third different UMass hockey coach in the last 20 years.

This will be Micheletto’s first collegiate head coaching position after serving as an assistant at Union, Notre Dame and, most recently, Vermont, where he has served since 2003-2004.

Micheletto is the director of recruiting, and works with the Catamounts forwards, power play, video analysis and practice planning, according to Vermont’s athletic website.

Micheletto was considered an instrumental contributor to Vermont’s Frozen Four appearance in 2009, somewhere UMass has yet to reach in its history.

Micheletto is originally from Illinois, but does have New England roots. He attended high school at Milton Academy in Milton and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1990.

He also played professional hockey in the minor leagues in the United States and Netherlands before breaking into coaching as a prep school coach in Pennsylvania.

Stay with DailyCollegian.com for more updates.