Missouri outlasts ASU, LSU rolls

Missouri overcame a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns by Marion Grice to hold off the favored Arizona State football team, 24-20.

Andrew Baggett may have missed three field goals in the contest, but his 46-yard kick in the first quarter gave the Tigers the early 3-0 lead.

Missouri (2-1) extended its lead to 10-0 when quarterback Corbin Berkstresser ran it into the endzone from six yards out.

The Tigers scored again on a 7-yard run by Kendial Lawrence to make it 17-0. But the Sun Devils (2-1) finally got on the board before the end of the half to make it 17-7 at the break.

Missouri was the only team to score in the third quarter when Lawrence took it in from one yard out.

After a pair of missed field goals by Baggett, ASU made a run.

Grice scored one from two yards out and the other from nine to cut into the lead, but a missed two-point conversion sealed it for Missouri.

LSU strong over Vandals

Right from the start the overall confidence in the game between No. 3 Louisiana State and Idaho appeared to be in favor of the Tigers, who went on to win, 63-14.

In the first half, Kadron Boone scored a touchdown on a 17-yard throw from quarterback Zach Mettenberger to give LSU (3-0) the 7-0 advantage.

Roughly three minutes later Alfred Blue extended the Tigers’ lead to 14 with a 3-yard rushing touchdown.

The Vandals (0-3) scored a touchdown with Michael LaGrone catching a 4-yard strike from Dominique Blackman to cut the deficit to 14-7.

However, this would not last long as four minutes later LSU’s Ronald Martin intercepted Blackman’s pass and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown to make it 21-7 Tigers.

Idaho responded four minutes later when Jahrie Level ran 22 yards into the endzone to make it 21-14.

The first half ended with one last touchdown with 37 seconds left on LSU’s Jarvis Landry’s 8-yard touchdown, ending the first half at 28-14.

In the third quarter, all three touchdowns were scored by the Tigers, one by Lavar Edwards and two by Kenny Hilliard, including a 71-yard touchdown run.

The quarter ended with LSU up 49-14, taking the Vandals completely out of the game.

In the final quarter of the game, the only two touchdowns would both be scored by LSU’s Jeremy Hill.

Spartans fall to Notre Dame

Coming into the game as evenly matched opponents, No. 20 Notre Dame came out on top with the 20-3 win over No. 10 Michigan State.

The first quarter’s only score came from the Fighting Irish (3-0) on a 36- yard touchdown by John Goodman to start off the scoring at 7-0.

In the second quarter, Notre Dame would score another touchdown, this time by Everett Golson, bringing the score to 14-0 before the Spartans (2-1) scored seven minutes later through an 50-yard field goal. The first half of the game ended with Notre Dame leading 14-3.

With no scoring in the third quarter, the fourth quarter would be set by Notre Dame, who scored on a pair of field goals by Kyle Brindza.

Kat Kent can be reached at [email protected].