Notre Dame stays undefeated, Creighton gets upset

Flickr/White and Blue Review

The No. 2 Creighton men’s soccer team suffered its first defeat of the season, falling to No. 14 Old Dominion by a score of 2-1 on Friday night.

A late goal in the 71st minute by junior forward Tim Hopkinson gave the Monarchs (6-0) the lead for good, giving the Blue Jays (5-1-1) their first loss of the year. It was Hopkinson’s second goal of the game, giving him seven goals for the season.

Senior midfielder Jose Gomez opened up the scoring for Creighton just one minute, 48 seconds into the game on an assist from sophomore Jose Ribas. It was later answered by the Monarchs in the 25th minute, when Hopkinson tallied his first goal of the game on a pass from senior Yannick Smith.

The stats were even throughout the game, with Creighton outshooting the Monarchs, 20-18, as well as having the edge in corners, 6-3. Blue Jays goalie Alex Bolowich made nine saves on the day, while Victor Francoz made eight for Old Dominion.

Creighton, which got back on track with a win over William & Mary on Sunday, will next play Saturday night when it welcomes Saint Louis to Morrison Stadium. The Monarchs, who continued their unbeaten run with a convincing win against Drake on Sunday, will next have a challenge as they play host to No. 3 Maryland on Tuesday night.

Golden goal lifts Irish
An overtime goal by senior Ryan Finley gave No. 3 Notre Dame its seventh consecutive victory Sunday afternoon over Michigan, 1-0.
Finley’s goal in the 104th minute of the contest moved the Fighting Irish to 7-0 on the season, while the Wolverines (2-4) lost their second straight game versus a ranked opponent.

With just about six minutes to go in extra time, Michigan was called for a foul, giving senior midfielder Dillon Powers a free kick. Powers lofted a high ball into the box, finding Finley as he headed it into the net for his team-leading fifth goal, and the win.

As a transfer from Duke, Finley continues to be a force off the bench. He has scored in three of Notre Dame’s seven games, all as a substitute.
Wolverines goalie Adam Grinwis had to make eight saves in the game, whileFighting Irish goalie Patrick Wall only had to make two.

Notre Dame looks to remain undefeated when it travels to Kentucky on Saturday night to take on Louisville. Michigan travels to Evanston, Ill., next Sunday when it takes on Big 10 opponent Northwestern.

Akron thrashes USF

Akron had no problems with No. 11 South Florida on Sunday afternoon, steamrolling its way to a 5-0 victory in its second game at the University of Akron Tournament.

A day after tying No. 10 St. John’s, 0-0, the ninth-ranked Zips (4-1-2) were able to find the back of the net this time around, opening the scoring in the 15th minute, when senior midfielder Scott Caldwell netted his first of two goals on the day.

The score remained 1-0 at halftime, until the second half started and Akron tore the Bulls (4-2-1) defense apart, scoring four more goals. The goals were scored by Scott Caldwell (2), Dillon Serna, Eric Stevenson and Aodhan Quinn.
David Meves only had to make three saves in his sixth shutout of the season for Akron. USF goalie Eric Osswald had a day to forget, giving up five goals on nine shots.

Akron’s next game is Saturday night when it travels to Ohio to take on Bowling Green. USF also plays its next game on Saturday, when it hosts Providence at Corbett Soccer Stadium.

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected].