Time-expiring field goal lifts Ball State over Indiana

Facebook

Steven Schott’s last-second field goal gave Ball State a 41-39 victory over Big 10 opponent Indiana on Saturday afternoon.

The senior kicker’s 42-yarder ended an exciting back-and-forth contest that finished with the Cardinals’ third straight victory over the Hoosiers dating back to 2008 and the second in two years under second-year coach Pete Lembo.

However, Indiana did not make getting that third win easy. With four minutes left in the game, trailing 38-25, freshman quarterback Nate Sudfeld threw a 70-yard touchdown pass to sophomore receiver Cody Latimer to bring the Hoosiers within a touchdown.

Two possessions later, Indiana drove 77 yards in six plays, culminating in a 2-yard touchdown pass from Sudfield to sophomore receiver Shane Wynn to put the Hoosiers up, 39-38.

The excitement did not just come in the final minutes of the game. In the opening minutes of the third quarter, junior Ball State receiver Jamill Smith threw a 12-yard touchdown pass to junior quarterback Keith Wenning to put Ball State ahead, 31-25. The touchdown pass and reception were the first for both Smith and Wenning.

Toledo tops Bowling Green

Toledo opened its Mid-American Conference schedule with a 27-15 win over Bowling Green on Saturday night.

The Rockets opened the game scoring 17 unanswered points. One touchdown came from a 66-yard bomb from junior quarterback Terrance Owens to redshirt freshman Alonzo Russell, the other followed an interception by sophomore defensive back Cheatham Norrils.

Bowling Green didn’t score until redshirt freshman kicker Tyler Tate hit a 32-yard field goal in the final seconds of the first half.

Trailing 24-3 in the second half after another Toledo score, the Falcons drove 72 yards in six plays, capping it off with a 23-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Anthon Samuel. A failed extra point had the Falcons trailing 24-9. Later, Bowling Green recovered a fumble by Andre Fluellen, which led to a 2-yard touchdown run by senior running back John Pettigrew. But the Falcons failed the 2-point conversion, and still trailed 24-15.

Toledo then pulled through. First, they ate up the clock with a drive that lasted 7:40 and culminated in a field goal. Then, the Rockets forced Bowling Green to turn it over on downs at its own 39, and ran out the remaining 4:55 of game time to seal the win.

Boise State routs Miami (OH)

Senior linebacker Pat Hinkel and Miami (Ohio) fought hard and kept things close in the first half, but could not stand up to Boise State and lost, 39-12, on Saturday afternoon.

Hinkel intercepted a pass from Boise State (1-1) redshirt junior quarterback Joe Southwick in the end zone halfway through the first quarter, and later recovered a fumble that led to Miami’s (1-2) only touchdown, a 2-yard pass from redshirt sophomore running back Spencer Treadwell to redshirt senior receiver Andy Cruse.

The running back pass, which gave Miami a 9-8 lead, was the first non-quarterback touchdown pass for the RedHawks since 2004.

However, on Boise State’s next possession, it drove the ball 75 yards downfield, and redshirt senior running back D.J. Harper ran it in for a 1-yard score to give Boise State a 15-9 lead going into halftime.

The second half would not be as evenly matched. Boise State scored 24 points to Miami’s three to earn its first win of the season.

The RedHawks will open their Mid-American Conference schedule next Saturday when they take on UMass in Oxford, Ohio. The game is set to start at noon.

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at [email protected].