National Campus Sustainability Day to take place today

Many attractions featured in today’s National Campus Food Day and Campus Sustainability Day event will be available by the power of bikes.

As in, the energy created by pedaling bicycles will be used to produce some of the activities, live music and free food available throughout the event.

The event will be held in the Cape Cod Lounge of the Student Union from 12 to 3 p.m., and is free and open to the public.

Headlining the fair will be Melodeego, a band which plays “revolutionary music for a new generation of world changers” and powers its concerts by bicycles, according to the website for the event.

Electricity generated from students pedaling green exercise bikes called Green Rev Bikes, which convert human effort into electricity, will power the band’s sound system tomorrow, creating a show that is “truly powered by the people.”

Free samples of locally grown food will be provided by Dining Services, aided by the Permaculture Club. University of Massachusetts Eco-Reps will be serving smoothies made in a bike-powered blender at the event.

Project Repat, an organization which focuses on “upcycled innovation,” according to its website, will also be giving a talk on how its organization creates fair trade jobs by turning excess textiles into useable goods, such as fashion accessories. Project Repat representatives will also be collecting and recycling old shirts to turn into blankets. Donations are welcome.

UMass’ National Campus Sustainability Day is part of a week-long series of homecoming events taking place through Sunday.

Aviva Luttrell can be reached at [email protected].