Top Video Games to Look Forward to in November

November for video games is like summer for movies. It’s when blockbuster games come out and when fans line up outside game shops for midnight releases. This November is looking to be like one of the greatest for video game releases since 2007.

Facebook

Assassin’s Creed 3 (Oct. 30)

Ubisoft’s fifth installment of the dominant franchise Assassin’s Creed returns on Oct 30. The setting and timeline moves from the Renaissance in Europe to American soil during the American Revolutionary War. Players will control a new assassin named Connor Kenway, a half-English and half-Native American natural-born killer. The game is also going to change the storyline of Desmond Miles, the alternate protagonist from each of the other titled installments; his story is set in the present day.

Assassin’s Creed is known for its beautiful graphics, stunning depiction of kills, and of course climbing structures and evading pursuers. Assassin’s Creed 3 is built from a new engine, Anvil Next, and it is said that it will utilize all the capabilities of the current generation systems to give the game a “next-generation Assassin’s Creed experience.”

The reason that this installment is going to be the best in the series is not just because of its fantastic graphics and great combat and climbing system, but because it is set during the American Revolutionary War. Players will get to fight in locations that are famous for battle during the war: playable areas include Lexington, Concord, Charlestown, New York and Boston. To add to the excitement growing around the game, it is rumored that Ben Franklin, George Washington and Paul Revere will make appearances, among other historically relevant figures.

Halo 4 (Nov. 6)

Halo has become one of the most influential gaming franchises of all time, and this November it returns with arguably its greatest video game character ever, Master Chief. At first it looked like Microsoft had turned the Halo series into a cash cow by having Master Chief return, especially after his storyline most certainly finished in 2007’s Halo 3, but after seeing many game play videos and trailers it is evident that Microsoft is not joking about Halo 4. 343 Industries has taken over for game development from Bungie, the makers of the first Halo trilogy.

Halo 4 will be the beginning of a planned trilogy, with Halo 5 having a much darker tone before the storyline is wrapped up in Halo 6. Halo 5 and 6 are probably coming between three and six years from now and most likely on the next-generation console.

Halo 4 is set four years after the events of Halo 3 and will start with Master Chief and Cortana together on a Forerunner planet searching for a downed UNSC starship. Developers have stressed that this game will focus on mystery and exploration. This is a bit different from the original trilogy’s straight-forward storyline.

At first glance of the gameplay videos that have been released, this game is sure to live up to its hype. The graphics are breathtaking and a far cry from Halo 3. In addition to some of the older weapons fans have grown to love, Halo 4 will have all new weapons and new foes. Players will be able to use Forerunner technology and weapons to combat mechanical-looking enemies on a new Forerunner planet called Requiem. Not too many details have been released about the plot and what is to truly become of this series but gamer anticipation is booming.

Everything about this game is going to be bigger and bolder. The environment is said to be much more visceral and perfect for exploration. The graphics have been greatly improved since the last installment and new weapons and enemies only reinvigorate a loyal fan base. Speaking of going bigger and bolder, Conan O’Brien and Andy Richter will make appearances as voice actors in this game as well.

Halo 4 will be a must-buy. Most gamers after Halo 3 were most likely distraught and thinking, “That is it, no more Master Chief.” Well gamers, he’s back and he will be for a handful of years so don’t forget to grab the game. Get ready for another great trilogy that is sure to give the original trilogy a run for its money.

Hitman: Absolution (Nov. 20)

The Hitman series has some diehard fans but the fan base is nowhere as close to that of Halo, Assassin’s Creed or Call of Duty. If you are looking for a new game franchise to get into, or even just a new and exciting game, you need Hitman: Absolution.

Agent 47 is another face that many hardcore gamers will recognize. There is only one original assassin and Agent 47 is him. The Hitman series is great because of the stealth situations, disguises, accidents, and most importantly the kills and how each one is delivered. Hitman: Absolution was made from a new engine, Glacier 2. The graphics are much improved since the last installment in 2007. The kills have been made to be much more fun and engaging and will leave you feeling like you are a silent assassin. There will be more options in how to kill and what to kill with and this continues to reinvigorate the franchise.

The game has some new exciting elements to it in addition to the notable actions from the first few games. In addition to being able to hide bodies and change disguises to blend in with your environment, you will also be able to utilize a detective mode. This detective mode is similar to Batman: Arkham Asylum.

The storyline consists of Agent 47 confronting those who betrayed his trust and the vengeful path he follows after the betrayal: exactly the cold-blooded quality gamers love about Agent 47. This game will not just be about taking contracts but about Agent 47 searching and finding the truth as well as serving his own spin on justice.

ZombiU (Nov. 18)

One reason ZombiU had to make this list of top video games to get in the next month because it is being released along with the first next-generation console Wii U.

Wii U’s major play was that it wanted to target hardcore gamers. The video game lists that are out for Wii U have many games that are important to gamers, like Assassin’s Creed 3 and even Mass Effect 3. Wii U is trying to win the hearts of the hardcore action and shooter gamers and ZombiU is a good place to start.

ZombiU is being developed by Ubisoft, the makers of Assassin’s Creed, and it will take place during a zombie apocalypse in present day London. This game is a bit different from most other video games because if you character is bit and infected you will die and die for good. You will lose your character and a new one will become playable. You will lose all your items and you will have to find your former character, who is now a zombie, and kill it to receive your supplies.

ZombiU will also feature an engaging storyline of survival as well as online multiplayer. ZombiU is a game to seriously consider not only because of how big zombies are and how fun those games are, but because it will be a taste of what is to come from Nintendo’s Wii U. Does Nintendo’s Wii U have what it take to capture all types of gamers? ZombiU will shed a little light and be gamers’ first taste of what is to come as ZombiU will be released along with the console. Gear up to kill some royal guards and maybe even the queen and prepare to die a lot.

Ryan Sacco can be reached at [email protected].