Dirty Projectors to take over Pearl Street Nightclub this Monday

NRK P3/Flickr

Indie rock band Dirty Projectors will join the list of great bands that have come to the Pioneer Valley this year with its show at the Pearl Street Nightclub this Monday night.

Like many artists, Dirty Projectors hail from Brooklyn, N.Y. The band’s most recent album, “Swing Lo Magellan,” released in July 2012, received rave reviews and landed on Pitchfork’s “Best New Music” list. What started as a project that lead guitarist and vocalist David Longstreth played around with during his freshman year at Yale culminated into a debut album with a focus on the interplay between guitar and vocals. Over the course of its career, Dirty Projectors has been introducing new elements into its sound through choral-inspired vocals and interestingly layered guitar licks.

At some points, when stripped down to basic elements, Dirty Projectors create songs that get people moving like “Dance for You.” Utilizing a repetitive drumbeat and handclaps, the single guitar on the song shines through and Longstreth’s sonorous voice adds a definite element of dance-ability. In the style of a more upbeat Death Cab for Cutie, Dirty Projectors incorporate meaningful lyrics over a mean groove.

New fans should be sure to check out the album “Bitte Orca.” Always pushing boundaries with eccentricities – not only lyrically but with percussion elements as well –Dirty Projectors really settles into itself in the album. Over the past 10 years, the band has gained popularity with each album release as well as touring with indie giant The National and making the rounds in festivals such as Coachella.

As for the most recent album, old fans should expect the same deconstructed vibe that gives an implacably catchy feel to each song. Songs like “Gun Has No Trigger” and “Offspring Are Blank” start with a distinct snare kick followed by Longstreth’s vocals hurling themselves over a crescendo of accompaniment and simple but powerful guitar work. The interesting tonality of Longstreth’s voice is a constant in the album and throughout the band’s catalog of work.

To match the playful vibe and musicianship of Dirty Projectors, indie electro-pop band Delicate Steve will serve as the opening act.

Based out of New Jersey, Delicate Steve has quickly been gaining popularity with its infectious and seemingly sporadic songs. Relatively new on the scene, its first album “Wondervisions” was released in 2011. The following year, its second album “Positive Force” was released and with it came some of its best work.

Songs like “Ramona Forever” and “Wally Wilder” seem to build effortlessly on themselves, rolling with the boundless energy and a frenetic vigor matched by the guys on stage. Some bands seemed hindered with the absence of lyrics, but Delicate Steve thrives off of the spontaneity and freedom that comes with an instrumental song. Just as Dirty Projectors breaks down its songs in fundamental ways to highlight certain elements, Delicate Steve will halt a song to a single beat and build all the way back to its usual contagious energy.

Both bands are sure to put on an interesting musical adventure and a treat for the eardrums. Clear the calendar or call in sick, because this show is not one to be missed.

Tickets for this event are being sold in advance for $20 and at the door for $23. The show starts at 8 p.m.

Ryan Ford can be reached at [email protected]