George Washington falls to JMU, Butler defeats Fordham

The James Madison baseball team used an eight-run eighth inning to defeat George Washington, 14-5, on Sunday, winning the weekend series two games to one.

Going into the bottom of the eighth with a 6-5 lead, the Dukes (20-23, 8-12 Colonial Athletic Association) exploded for eight runs on seven hits, including a solo home run by junior second baseman Conner Brown and a bases-clearing triple by senior outfielder Cole McInturff. Brown and McInturff went a combined 6-for-10 on the day, knocking in nine runs total.

The Colonials (16-28, 7-8 Atlantic 10) managed only five runs on seven hits, with freshman third baseman Eric Kalman leading the way with two runs and an RBI on two hits. Freshman Danny O’Donnell took the loss for George Washington, giving up three runs and three hits in an inning of work. Junior Trent Cundiff earned the win, pitching 2 and 2/3 innings of relief, giving up one hit and no runs.

The Dukes schedule gets a lot tougher next week when they travel to Chapel Hill to play a two game series against No. 1 North Carolina. Meanwhile, the Colonials travel to Annapolis, Md.., to face the Navy on Wednesday.

Butler wins in 11

Butler defeated Fordham 8-7 in 11 innings on a game-winning single by first baseman Jimmy Risi in Indianapolis on Saturday.

Following a scoreless 10th inning, the Rams (15-30, 2-13 A-10) took a 7-6 lead after senior pitcher Dan Sorine hit a one-out double. He was later knocked in on a fielder’s choice by junior outfielder Sam Careccia.

After a groundout to lead off the bottom of the inning, Bulldogs (22-18, 10-5 A-10) junior Marcos Calderon hit a double down the right field line and scored the tying run two batters later on a single by sophomore Michael Fries.

Senior Chase Byerly was credited with the win, pitching four innings and giving up one run on seven hits. Senior Rich Anastasi  took the loss, giving up two runs and five hits in 2 and 1/3  innings in relief.

The Rams are back in action May 3 for the start of a three-game series in Amherst versus Massachusetts. The Bulldogs travel to North Carolina on May 3 when they face Charlotte in a three-game conference series.

Charlotte destroys Temple

A five-run first inning helped Charlotte cruise to a 10-2 conference road win over A-10 opponent Temple on Sunday.

The 49ers (26-19, 10-5 A-10) batted around in the first inning, collecting five hits and two walks including a two-out two-run single by freshman Nick Daddio. He later knocked in his career-high third RBI in the third inning and finished the game with three hits.

The Owls (16-23, 6-12) recorded their only runs in the fifth and sixth innings on an RBI groundout by junior first baseman Derek Peterson and a single by freshman outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan.

Junior Brock Hudgens improved to 5-0 on the season after pitching 5 and 1/3 innings, giving up only two runs on seven hits. Dan Moller, a redshirt senior, was charged with the loss, allowing seven runs on eight hits in 2 and 1/3 innings.

The Owls begin a three-game series against conference opponent Richmond in Virginia on Friday, while the 49ers host Butler in a three-game series that also starts on Friday.

Jason can be reached at [email protected].