VCU, George Mason off to hot start in A-10

The No.19 Virginia Commonwealth men’s soccer team defeated No. 7 Akron 1-0 Friday night in front of a crowd of 3,319.

The Zips (4-2) came out firing at the University of Akron Tournament, but failed to capitalize on numerous opportunities. The struggle continued throughout the game as senior Eric Stevenson and freshman Adam Nejem each took five shots, combining for more shots than VCU’s entire squad.

Rams (3-1-1) sophomore Dennis Castillo scored the match’s only goal on a header in the 75th minute off a pass from junior Juan Monge Solano. Although VCU was victorious, Akron possessed the ball a majority of the match and outperformed the Rams in shots (28-3), shots on goal (7-2) and corner kicks (7-1).

VCU senior goalkeeper Andrew Wells had a strong performance with seven saves in the shutout.

The Rams look ahead to matches with Coastal Carolina and Wake Forest in the upcoming week.

Dayton earns MSU title

After defeating Western Illinois handily last Friday, Dayton proved victorious once again, this time defeating Detroit 1-0 for the Missouri State Tournament title.

After a scoreless struggle for most of the game, freshman James Haupt finally broke through in the 75th minute off an assist from junior Greg Enstone.

The Flyers (5-0) entered Sunday’s match at the Plaster Sports Complex with a powerful offense, averaging over two goals and 15 shots per game, but neither team scored in the first half. Both Dayton and Detroit played it safe and kept their defensive lines far back.

The Flyers move on to play Ohio State at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.

Patriots atop the A-10

George Mason shut out previously undefeated Seton Hall in a 1-0 victory at George Mason Stadium.

The Patriots (5-1-1) victory can be credited to their defense, which allowed just one shot on goal through the match. The Pirates were outshot 10-4.

In the 60th minute, senior Julio Arjona found the back of the net off a header from senior Hugh Roberts during a corner kick.

Seton Hall brought aggressive pressure in the second half, but the Patriots defense held strong and George Mason clinched the victory.

The Patriots take the pitch again Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Virginia.

Robbie Acer can be reached at [email protected].