Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown

Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy addresses the Diversity Town Hall Meeting Oct. 16, 2014. (Shannon Broderick/Collegian)

By Catherine Ferris

After the grand jury made its decision in the death of Michael Brown Monday night, demonstrations erupted across the country. Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy sent out an email to the campus community telling University of Massachusetts students to express their views in a peaceful manner.

Subbaswamy said he understood the frustrations of members of the campus community, but said, “As disheartening as the grand jury’s decision may be for some, I know that all of us will express our views in a respectful and civil manner.”

He then quoted Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., “The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice.”

Subbaswamy expressed his confidence in the campus’ ability to speak on what is right in a respectful way.

He also offered support, advocacy and wellness resources for the campus community, which he linked in the email.

There will be a gathering in the Cape Cod Lounge in the Student Union at 11 a.m. Tuesday for students to come together and discuss their feelings on the grand jury’s decision. This event is expected to continue until 2 p.m.

Catherine Ferris can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Ca_Ferris2.