UMass club hockey offense explodes in wins against UConn, Bryant

(Jessica Chaiken/Daily Collegian)
(Jessica Chaiken/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts club hockey team fired on all cylinders this weekend as the team earned important road victories against Connecticut and Bryant.

Forward Harris Stone’s three goals led the Minutemen’s scoring frenzy on Saturday as UMass secured a 7-1 win at UConn.

The Minutemen got an early lead after Chris Jones used a screen to score on a wrist shot five minutes into the first period. Stone then knocked in his first goal of the game off of a rebound before left wing Peter Kelly added another goal on a redirection, giving UMass a 3-0 lead at the end of the first period.

After the Huskies scored their only goal of the game on a power play opportunity, the Minutemen continued to pour it on with Stone adding two more goals to complete his hat trick. Forward Scott Cook also added a goal late in the third period when he capitalized on a breakaway.

Stone has been one of the team’s top scoring leaders this season, entering the weekend tied for third place in points for UMass.

Starting goaltender Connor Walker played well for the Minutemen, allowing one power play goal. With his second victory of the weekend Saturday, Walker improved his overall record to 5-3 this season.

UMass beats Bryant, 7-2

Offense was the story again on Friday as UMass completed a 7-2 drubbing of Bryant. The Minutemen saw a balanced attack in the victory as six UMass players combined for the seven goals.

Freshman defenseman Dennis Medeiros got the scoring underway when he fired a shot through a screen, earning his first collegiate goal and giving the team a 1-0 lead five minutes into the first period. Later in the period, Medeiros netted another point, this time as his shot led to a rebound which Stone converted on to give the Minutemen a 2-0 lead at the first intermission.

The Bulldogs added a couple goals in the second period but a score from Kelly kept UMass in the lead, 3-2. Then a four-on-four goal late in the second period by center Rob Tirea provided the Minutemen with a two-goal lead going into the final frame.

Stone’s second score of the game and goals from forward Ted Zimmerman and forward Allan Haynes provided the Minutemen with the rest of their insurance goals in the third period.

One negative takeaway from Friday’s game was the number of penalties UMass tallied. A five-minute major combined with another penalty gave Bryant a lengthy five-on-three advantage which led to Bryant’s first goal.

The Minutemen will return to action next week when they travel to face Boston College on Friday and Northeastern on Sunday.

Jamie Cushman can be reached at [email protected].