Greek 101 event hosted by Greek Health Advisors

(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

Greek Health Advisors presented the Greek 101 event for all new members of Greek life organizations at the University of Massachusetts on Thursday, October 20.

Multiple organizations gave presentations to a crowd of about 600 in the Student Union Ballroom. Almost all of the attendees were new members of UMass Panhellenic and IFC Greek Life.

“This is the only event this year that we have both organizations in one room, at one time,” said Lisa Barche, a graduate intern for Greek Health Advisors.

This annual education night is one of the many events that are part of Greek Health Advisors’ harm reduction program. The program seeks to educate new members on necessary subjects regarding health, safety and wellness before they enter into Greek life.

The first organization to present at Greek 101 was the UMass Men and Masculinities Center. Their presentation was directed towards incoming fraternity members. The presenting group, composed of instructors and students, performed multiple skits, exemplifying how to combat different levels of misogyny, abuse and hyper-masculinity.

“It’s on us to end sexual violence,” the group said in unison at the end of their final skit.

The Not Ready for Bed Time Players, UMass Amherst’s award-winning peer sexuality education troupe, continued the UMass Men and Masculinities Center’s discussion on misogyny. The troupe closed the night with multiple comedic and dramatic sketches, in which they discussed different forms of sexual contraceptives, and tackled tough subjects such as sexual assault.

Other presenters included the UMass Student Fire Department, the Medical Reserve Corp and Student Legal Services, who discussed the various legal resources they offer students. These resources include free consultations with SLS lawyers regarding any legal questions students may have. The presenters brought up housing and alcohol carry laws, as examples of commonly asked about subjects.

The UMass and Amherst Police Departments also spoke at the event. Officer William Laramee, of the Amherst Police Department, and Eric Beal, attorney and neighborhood liaison between the University and the Amherst community, brought up the community stigma around UMass Greek Life, and discussed how they are working to combat it.

Through “boots-on-the-ground work, community engagement, partnerships, and a problem solving approach,” Laramee and Beal hope to bridge the gap between the Amherst community and Greek Life members living off campus.

Past Greek Life members recognized the gap between the community and students too.

“Greek life doesn’t get the best rep around Amherst and the country,” Katie Lancaster, president of Greek Health Advisors and a nursing major, said. “We want the Amherst community to know that we’re trying.”

More Greek Health Advisors events will be held next semester. Greek Health Advisors also holds meetings every other Thursday, at 7:30 p.m., in room 803 of the Campus Center.

Jackson Cote can be reached at [email protected].