Annual induction ceremony celebrates new members of the National Society of Leadership and Success

Three members received the National Engaged Leader Award and got inducted

By Lisa Ladas, Collegian Correspondent

The National Society of Leadership and Success held its Spring 2018 induction ceremony Sunday, with current initiates, who have completed the steps toward induction, becoming full members of the collegiate honors society.

NSLS, established in 2001, is one of the nation’s biggest leadership honor societies. There are 870,203 members at 697 colleges nationwide. Its annual induction ceremony was held in the Student Union at the University of Massachusetts and drew in a crowd of approximately 100 people.

According to the NSLS website, once all steps toward becoming a member are complete, “They will receive post-induction benefits including a certificate of national leadership certification, Society insignia pin, and Sigma Alpha Pi T-shirt awarded to them at your chapter’s induction ceremony.”

During the ceremony, three members received the National Engaged Leader Award and got inducted. According to the NSLS website, “To complete the program and achieve induction into the Society, members must attend Orientation, Leadership Training Day, three Speaker Broadcasts, and three Success Networking Team meetings.”

Mark Attaya, a junior economics major, received an email about the NSLS program and thought it would be a great organization to join. Attaya mentioned that his journey started after he attended various speaker broadcast meetings on campus, where he got to hear different members of the society offer insight and shared lessons.

When asked about how it felt to be inducted, Attaya said, “Wild, and I am very excited to start a new chapter.”

Joshua Perlroth, a sophomore mechanical engineering major, joined NSLS a year ago. Perlroth learned from speaker Sir. Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Atlantic airlines, that “nothing comes easy.” He said that he has realized this lesson through his engineering classes.

“I am really excited to be inducted into NSLS, and it’s an enhancement to my resume,” Perlroth added.

Cassidy Townsend, a senior kinesiology major and NSLS student president, was the head speaker for the ceremony. She highlighted the process of being a member of society by helping members recognize and accomplish their dreams and goals.

“To future NSLS student members, the society will work on getting members connected and creating their own network,” Townsend said, emphasizing the importance of making connections outside of the academic setting.

Pamela Riordan, the proud parent of senior psychology and kinesiology double major Kailey Carota, an NSLS member and recipient of the National Engaged Leader Award, said, “This is an enlightening ceremony. It rewards the students and shows accomplishments.

“I have seen my daughter grow to show leadership qualities,” she said.

Lisa Ladas can be reached at [email protected].