University email informs the community of graduate student’s death

Manuel Matos was a sociology student earning his Ph.D.

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

(Collegian file photo)

The death of University of Massachusetts graduate student Manuel Matos was confirmed by Dean of Students Cara Appel-Silbaugh in an email sent to the UMass community Friday afternoon.

Matos was in the sociology department and received his undergraduate degree from UMass in 2005.

“On behalf of UMass, we extend our sincere condolences to Manuel’s family and friends who are mourning his untimely death,” Appel-Silbaugh said in the email.

Appel-Silbaugh also said, “At this time, in keeping with the wishes of Manuel’s family, I have no other information to share.”

According to Mary Dettloff from UMass News and Media Relations, no new information has been provided to the University, as the Matos family wishes to keep the matter private.

“Anytime we experience the death of a student, it is a sad event for the community. Our thoughts are with Manuel’s family and friends at this time,” Dettloff said.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.

1 Comment

One Response to “University email informs the community of graduate student’s death”

1. Dr. Ed on September 10th, 2018 7:42 am

2005 grads are now in their 30’s, hence he is not the 25-year-old student who fell from the top floor of the grad tower on June 20th. So who was that???

See: https://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/06/former_umass_student_falls_to.html