SGA proposes revisions to the current ‘Land Use Policy’

Revisions are aimed to improve student free speech
(Judith Gibson-Okunieff/Daily Collegian)

The Student Government Association discussed revisions to the University of Massachusetts’ current “Land Use Policy,” while also addressing the continued string of bigotry on campus in their weekly meeting Wednesday evening.

The revisions have come in the wake of the recent Young Americans for Liberty lawsuit against UMass from earlier this year, in which Nicholas Consolini believed that his First and 14th Amendment rights were violated under the Speech Zone Policy.

Presented by student trustees Jiya Nair and Ilina Shah, the proposals aim to address booking for student groups and to empower individuals when it comes to space access.

“Limiting our freedom of expression is not something that stands with these ideals of UMass. Expanding free speech is actually in many ways a bigger commitment to anti-discrimination and standing up for our values,” Nair said.

Originally created in the 1990s, Nair said the policy is outdated and no longer reflects the physical UMass campus. The addition of a preamble in the revisions is meant to foster a sense of belonging on campus by focusing on the diversity of people and ideas, Nair explained.

Other proposed revisions include changing problematic sentences and adding more specific word choice, such as changing “student activities office” to “student activities and involvement office.”

SGA advisor Lydia Washington expressed her concern for organizations and student spaces supported by academic departments.“You were talking about students and student organizations defined by [Graduate Student Senate] and SGA, are you aware that there are student organizations on campus that are supported by academic departments and they also have a process of how they give space? Are you going to work with those groups? Is this policy applicable to them as well?” Washington asked.

Nair explained that certain clauses in the proposals apply to these student groups as well.

The document is specific to the flagship campus and does not include the other campuses in the Five College System. The policy is still under revision and must be approved by the GSS and the Student Affairs and University Life Council.

Regarding the student in John Quincy Adams residence hall whose door was defaced on Tuesday, SGA President Timmy Sullivan encouraged students to hold their peers accountable and to end the microaggressions of bigotry on campus.

“I ask this week that we’re not only being reactive, but we’re being proactive. The best response to fear laundering is actively creating a community, and that we are all a part of that community,” Sullivan said.

He added: “As long as we can validate the voices of students and make them not feel marginalized, but make bigotry feel marginalized on this campus, I think that we will be successful.”

Sullivan and SGA Vice President Nathalie Amazon will be meeting with Chancellor Subbaswamy on Thursday morning to discuss this issue and further precautions after this recent string of bigotry.

Gretchen Keller can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @gretchenkellerr.