Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg to visit Amherst College

She will discuss recent court decisions with students

(Photo courtesy of the Collection of the Supreme Court of the United States)

By Abigail Charpentier, News Editor

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg will speak in Amherst College’s Johnson Chapel on October 3 at 5 p.m.

Ginsburg will also meet with students in Cole Assembly Room in Converse Hall at 3:30 p.m. for a review of cases from the last term, Amherst College President Biddy Martin states in an online letter.

A live stream of the event will be broadcast to Stirn Auditorium for Amherst College students, faculty and staff with wait list tickets. It will also be available to stream online for those with an Amherst College username and password.

Tickets will be available online on September 19 at 8 a.m. and will be limited to one ticket per person.

Justice Ginsburg last visited Amherst College in 1991, two years before her appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court, where then-Amherst College president Peter Pouncey awarded Ginsburg an honorary degree.

“Her unwavering dedication to righting that imbalance over the course of her lengthy and principled career as a jurist has made Ginsburg not only a pioneer for gender equality but an inspiration to all who seek to address systematic injustice,” said Martin.

Abigail Charpentier can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @abigailcharp.