UMass Dining named Princeton Review’s “Best Campus Food” for fifth consecutive year

The prestigious ranking is voted on annually by students at schools across the country

For the fifth year in a row, the University of Massachusetts has received The Princeton Review’s award for “Best Campus Food.”

The Princeton Review, which provides college admissions services and advice, assesses and ranks colleges and universities throughout the country in 62 different categories, from “Best Health Services,” to “Most Liberal Students,” to “Party Schools.” For its 2021 edition, the Review named UMass at the top of its campus food list, according to a press release provided by the UMass Office of News and Media Relations.

The rankings are compiled using surveys of 140,000 students at schools within the Review’s annual guide. The press release noted that this year’s surveys were completed before the COVID-19 pandemic shuttered many college campuses nationwide.

UMass was first awarded the title for the Review’s 2017 edition and had consistently placed within the top ten since 2012 before then, according to a Daily Collegian article from UMass’ third consecutive win in the category.

It added that UMass Dining is “the largest collegiate dining program in the country” and among the reasons why it has consistently ranked so highly include its emphasis on “locally sourced foods and authentic culinary experiences,” in addition to being “renowned for its special dining events.”

Following UMass on the list were Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, Washington University in St. Louis, Pitzer College in Claremont, California and Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

“We’re truly humbled and grateful for this recognition. This wouldn’t have been possible without our talented team, who worked tremendously hard behind the scenes and to our students who recognize these efforts,” said Ken Toong, the head of UMass Dining and executive director of Auxiliary Services.

“Even in the face of a global pandemic, our team continued to work hard and provide an exceptional dining experience that continues to follow health and safety guidelines,” Toong said in the press release.

Despite holding the number one title, UMass Dining this will be starkly different than in previous years. Only Franklin Dining Commons and Campus Center eateries open at the beginning of the semester. The newly built Worcester Dining Commons is set to open on Oct. 5. Most meals will be provided to-go and UMass’ food trucks will also continue to serve the reduced campus population.

Chris McLaughlin can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @ChrisMcLJournal.