‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ set to return for twelfth season

Larry David’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ projected to return later this year to HBO Max
Curb Your Enthusiasm’s IMDb

Longtime comedian and writer Larry David is set to return to HBO Max’s hit show “Curb Your Enthusiasm” later this year. Shooting was said to have finished in March, and it’s only a matter of time before David and his antics return for the 12th season. With 51 Emmy nominations and two wins, the 12th season of “Curb” is sure to be another hit.

If you have never seen “Curb Your Enthusiasm” before or are unfamiliar with David’s work on “Seinfeld,” I recommend you find the nearest couch and start familiarizing yourself. David is a master in the art of writing about the absurdities of everyday life. Twists range from fighting with strangers over the etiquette of buying frozen yogurt to avoiding “stop-and-chat” situations with acquaintances he would rather ignore.

David is cynical, and at times incredibly unlikable, but he continues to have a comedic charm that makes audiences root for him. David creates situations that are so thoroughly uncomfortable while keeping the viewer totally hooked. Although “Curb Your Enthusiasm” is centered around David’s life experiences, his character is an amplified version of himself. This sort of heightened autobiographical comedy can convince audiences that “Curb” is an unscripted series when it’s a combination of written and improvised dialogue.

David’s series has withstood the test of time, much like his other hit series “Seinfeld,” while other comedies from the past struggle to maintain relevance. David’s hyper-specific characters and writing in both “Curb” and “Seinfeld” have left a gawky, man-sized imprint on the landscape of television comedy.

In season 11 of “Curb,” a burglar drowns in David’s pool. Of course, the irritable David objects to installing a fence for the pool, and a family member threatens to sue David unless he makes his daughter a star. Meanwhile, David has plans for a new show written about his younger years in New York called “Young Larry,” and is looking to find a stellar cast to make the show take off. The man’s daughter, Maria Sofia, is begrudgingly placed in one of the main roles.

Many painstakingly cringeworthy moments orchestrated by David prove Maria Sofia to be a terrible actress. In an attempt to get her out of the cast, David figures the easiest route would be to date a councilwoman, and gaslight her into changing and voting against said law (a completely logical Larry choice).

This situation introduces the audience to another deeply embarrassing character named Irma Kostroski. The relationship between Kostroski and David is thoroughly painful to sit through, and equally hilarious.

Through all the cynical behavior, the viewer gets another season of perfect sarcasm and utter honesty. It may seem repetitive to see David continuously put himself in insane and cringeworthy situations season after season. And yet, he manages to create new and hysterical situations each time that leave the viewer dumbfounded.

David’s fanbase is incredibly strong, and only growing since the release of “Curb.” The viewer doesn’t have to watch “Seinfeld” to understand “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” although it gives insight into how David’s comedic artistry has developed. Both series are known as “shows about nothing,” focusing on people’s everyday lives and the comedy that comes with simply being alive. There have been rumors that this might be the final season, but it has not yet been confirmed. It is still unclear when “Curb” will be returning to HBO Max, but one thing’s for sure, it will be pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Olivia Baier can be reached at [email protected].