Native American Student Association plans for powwow after travelling to Native Nations Rise March in Washington D.C. -

Black Student Union aims to be a strong voice for the African-American community on UMass’ campus -

UMass Students for Reproductive Justice continue fighting for student rights -

UMass notebook: Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry reportedly interviewed for a second time Monday for men’s basketball head coaching vacancy -

UMass softball anxiously awaits start of conference play with doubleheader against BU looming Thursday. -

UMass baseball gets its long-awaited homecoming Tuesday against Northeastern -

Have you popped your bubble? -

The atrophy of activism: a message for student protesters -

Emmi Beuger’s day off – Interview with Kate Leddy -

Josh Odam spreads succinct messages through Free Negro University clothing line -

Fourteen random ‘treat yourself’ items for $25 and under -

Student Activism Special Issue Preview Video -

Anthropology professor holds lecture on violence and policymaking -

Student Activism Special Issue 2017 -

Congressmen McGovern and Ellison discuss progressive politics under Trump administration on Saturday -

SGA President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Lily Wallace promise to improve assistance to student activists next year -

Editor’s note: UMass works because they do -

The UMass club that is un-beelievable -

Interview with Ghazah Abbasi, Sanctuary Campus Movement organizer -

Association of Diversity in Sport draws competition in FIFA Tournament -

UMass mandates new pesticide protocol

By: Emily Reynolds

A lot of research going on at UMass falls under the headings of science, engineering and health. Some of them are breakthrough research topics. Rest assured, Sports Management and Landscape Architecture can now claim some research as their own.

The UMass Extension Turf Program is releasing the Integrated Pest Management Protocols for Turf on School Properties and Sports Fields.

The manual is based off of scientific research and lots of fieldwork. It’s basically a pest control system that is more efficient and less dependent on pesticides, which means that it protects the environment, the people and their wallets.

Part of the reason the manual was put together with less reliance on pesticides was to comply with the Massachusetts Children and Families Protection Act, put in place in 2000 as a way to reduce children’s exposure to harmful chemicals that are found in pesticides.

Since UMass is a public school, it has to comply with the act, including the Integrated Pest Management portion, which looks for alternatives for pesticides.

Although the Protection Act was put out before the big push to save the environment, it still had a few environmental provisions in there, which keeps it relevant for today.

The manual was put together by the Extension Turf Program and the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources.

Emily Reynolds can be reached at ereynold@student.umass.edu.