UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Minutewomen drop two games this weekend to begin Atlantic 10 play

Stranger things have happened to the No. 10 Massachusetts field hockey team, but this past weekend added insult to injury both literally and figuratively.

After sweeping Atlantic 10 Conference play last season, UMass dropped games against Temple and Saint Joseph’s this past weekend by a combined score of 5-1, the exact opposite – down to the game score and length of time played –  of what happened last season

The Minutewomen (9-6, 0-2 A-10) lost in double-overtime to the Owls (5-10, 1-1 A-10) yesterday, 2-1 and are now winless in their last three games. UMass hadn’t lost to Temple since the Minutewomen dropped another 2-1 decision on the road on Oct. 12, 2007.

Junior defender Makaela Potts registered the only UMass goal in the game, as well as the last three games, on one of the Minutewomen’s six penalty corners in the second half. Sophomore defender Christine Cutry assisted on the score that gave UMass the 1-0 lead.

The Minutewomen outshot Temple 21-16, including a 10-4 shot advantage in the second half. Forward Jill Powers led UMass with seven shots, with three going on-goal.

Minutewomen goalkeeper Alesha Widdall registered seven saves, giving her seven games with at least five saves this season.

Bridget Settles led the Owl offense with one goal, one assist, including the game-winner in the 88th minute of the game. Temple goalkeeper Sarah Dalrymple finished the game with nine saves.

In the other half of the role-reversal weekend for UMass, SJU’s Anne Schreuders registered a hat trick in a game on Friday that saw the Minutewomen outshoot the Hawks 11-2 in the first half. Schreuder helped SJU avenge its loss to UMass last season in the conference championship game by the same score.

In last season’s contest, the Hawks surrendered a hat trick as well to junior captain Katie Kelly.

Potts and Powers shared a team-high four shots for the Minutewomen, half of SJU’s team shot total. UMass finished the game with a 15-8 shot advantage while both teams tallied seven penalty corners.

Schreuder needed little time to figure out the Minutewomen defense, scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes of the game.

UMass held off Schreuder and the rest of the Hawks for the rest of the half, denying SJU a shot for the next 30 minutes of play.

Only Shreuder and Theresa Testa had more than one shot for SJU, compared to the Minutewomen who had four players with multi-shot games – all of whom had opportunities inside the circle but failed to convert.

Widdall had four saves in net, while her counterpart Kelly Swanick notched eight for the Hawks. Only two of Swanick’s saves came in the second half.

UMass couldn’t force any mistakes on the part of SJU after halftime and failed to gain a penalty corner opportunity as a result.

The Minutewomen, whose strength was once their road play, are now 5-4 as the away team after starting the season with a 4-1 record away from home.

Mike Gillmeister can be reached at mgillmei@student.umass.edu.