UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Minutewomen snap four-game skid with 10-1 rout over St. Louis

After suffering four-straight losses, three to Atlantic 10 opponents, and being held scoreless in three games, the Massachusetts field hockey team let all of its frustration spill out Sunday in a must-win stomping of Saint Louis by a score of 10-1.

The favorites to win the A-10 this year after claiming the conference the past two seasons, UMass scheduled to host this year’s tournament. The No. 16 Minutewomen (10-7, 1-3 A-10), however, were on the outside looking in for the A-10 tournament when they dropped their third-straight conference game, losing 1-0 on Friday at home against Richmond.

Through the first half and the beginning of the second half, the two teams were deadlocked in a scoreless game. In the 53rd minute, the Spiders’ (10-7, 4-0 A-10) received a goal from Katelin Peterson, providing enough scoring for Richmond against a struggling UMass offense.

The Minutewomen amassed only one shot on goal for the game and suffered a major loss when junior captain and leading scorer Katie Kelly exited the contest after receiving a yellow card with 10 minutes, 40 seconds remaining in the second half. The 10-minute penalty forced UMass to continue down a player until there was just 40 seconds left in the game, making it even more difficult for the Minutewomen to assemble a comeback.

“It was frustrating that I wasn’t able to be out there to help my teammates and I feel like I let them down,” Kelly said after Friday’s game.

With 9:04 left, UMass coach Justine Sowry pulled goalie Alesha Widdall and inserted Callie Sweigart as a kicking back to place an extra attacker on the field. Following the move, the Minutewomen were able to move the ball into the Spiders’ zone but couldn’t find the tying goal.

“That was going to be our plan if we were to go down with 10 or so minutes to go, and I actually think we played pretty good hockey when we made that move,” Sowry said. “I was actually pretty pleased with how we played that situation and it was unfortunate not to get a corner or two.”

Though the game added to a list of recent devastating losses for UMass, Sowry didn’t give up on the rest of the season.

“Unfortunately, that’s the way the cookie crumbles and we have to go back to the drawing board.”

On Sunday, in a do-or-die situation, the Minutewomen released their offensive tension, exploding for 10 goals against the Billikens (1-14, 0-4 A-10).

In a 10 minute stretch midway through the first half, UMass put the game away early with four scores.

At the 7:13 mark, Kelly gave the Minutewomen a lead that was never challenged, scoring her seventh goal of the season. Nearly three minutes later, she fed Kate Heineman for an assist. Kelly had one of her better games for her career, ending the afternoon with two goals and four assists.

Saint Louis had its only goal scored by Lexie Lindblad, her second of the year, on a penalty corner in the second half.

Sowry was pleased with her squad after Sunday’s game and felt that it was a much needed win to get UMass out of its funk and playing well going forward.

“Overall, it was an excellent team effort coming off a couple weeks of hard games,” she said. “I was very happy, everyone got involved. We didn’t have players looking to go one-on-one.”

The Minutewomen will look to maintain their momentum this week when they play Dartmouth on Wednesday, before facing two more A-10 opponents in La Salle and West Chester on the weekend.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutewomen snap four-game skid with 10-1 rout over St. Louis”
  1. @John, I am with you really good article.