UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Newman Student Association Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive

This week, more than 120 families in Amherst would have gone without a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. From Sunday, Nov. 1 through Sunday, Nov. 22, the Newman Student Association (NSA), in conjunction with the Amherst Survival Center, ran a food drive for local Amherst families that could not afford Thanksgiving dinners due to depressed economic circumstances.

For the past three weeks, the NSA has been spreading the word throughout campus for donations. Justin Pespisa, Cindy Hopf and Bridget Cullen, University of Massachusetts NSA students, have coordinated tabling in the campus center and have raised money for donations at the last two UMass football game tailgates.

On Nov. 22, the NSA held an event called Action Day, which was open to the whole student body. The purpose of Action Day was to assemble the canned food donations into bags and deliver to the families. 75 students participated in either bagging the items or driving them to local homes, and approximately 700 canned goods were donated. Most of the canned donations were made by the UMass student population or the extended Newman community.

“This year we had a list from the Amherst Survival Center of 120 families in need. This is more than we’ve ever had,” said Justin Pespisa, coordinator of the event.

Each family was given a box of stuffing and mashed potatoes and a $10 Turkey voucher, along with the canned goods.

Dozens of other students from various UMass organizations also arrived on Action Day to participate.

“Action day went very efficiently,” said Pespisa. “Everyone worked together and had a role. We spent a lot of time organizing who lives closest. Whether bagging or delivering, everyone was participating.”

Many organizations in the community became involved with either food or money donations through the NSA. Trader Joes in Hadley donated the paper bags to store the food items, and the Bedford, Mass food pantry and the F.W. Webb heating and plumbing company donated money towards the turkey vouchers.

Fresh foods were donated as well by many local farmers, who arrived early on Action Day to distribute fresh vegetables.  

The NSA has been orchestrating a local food drive for over 20 years. For more information on becoming involved with other Newman Student Association events visit http://www.newmanumass.org/.

Lisa Linsley can be reached at llinsley@student.umass.edu.