MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

UMass tight end Adam Breneman becoming latest to thrive in Whipple’s offense -

UMass men’s soccer gets set for another difficult road test against Vermont -

What I learned from wearing nail polish -

UMass teams drop meets against Yale and Northeastern

Despite competing in different places, the men and women came back with the same result.

Two weeks after impressive showings at Boston University’s Terrier Invitational, the Massachusetts swim teams traveled for the first time this season to different locations.

The men lost against Yale, 193-107, while the women lost to Northeastern, 174-123.

Both UMass coaches highlighted cited team-wide fatigue, with women’s head coach Bob Newcomb saying this weekend was “back to dual meet mode.”

The men were in New Haven, Conn. to face a Yale team whose coach, Frank Keefe, is in his final season.

“They are looking to do something special for their coach,” men’s coach Russ Yarworth said. “They’re swimming especially fast at home.”

The Yale swim team won 13 of the 14 races, losing only at the end of the day in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

“There just wasn’t a lot of pop,” Yarworth said of his team’s racing. “We were just flat all week. We challenged [Yale] in the relay, though.”

The 400-yard relay was swam by juniors Chris Howard and Trevor Ziegler, freshman Jorge Fortin, and senior Juan Moliere. The group pulled out a time of 3:06.96, almost six seconds ahead of Yale (3:12.84).       Sophomore Ryan Brooks joined freshmen Peter Sacco, Sasan Tehrani and Tim O’Neill to finish just behind, in third, at 3:13.02.

Discounting the relay, however, the men could only bring in second and third place finishes.

Sophomore Joey Sbordon had two silver finishes with his 500 and 1000-yard freestyle times of 4:42.28 and 9:48.87.

Fortin took second in the 200-yard freestyle (1:44.49) and third in 100-yard freestyle (47.77), just behind second-place finisher Ziegler (47.63).

One stand-out race for the men was the 50-yard freestyle, in which four of the top five times were by UMass swimmers. Moliere led the group, taking second with a time of 21.47. Close behind were Howard (21.63), Tehrani (21.69) and Sacco (21.88).

Second places were also notched by sophomore Kyle Jennings (200-yard backstroke, 1:54.56) and senior Mike Berthaume (100-yard butterfly, 50.74).

“I learned that they’re going to race how they practice,” Yarworth said, adding that it was not for lack a of effort.

Standout diver Jason Cook took first in both the one- and three-meter. The sophomore finished with scores of 323.47 and 347.17, respectively.    Junior John Clark notched second in the one-meter (271.57), and junior Adam Duffield placed third in the three-meter (290.94) –two points behind Yale’s Drew Teer.

On the women’s side, sophomore Hannah Swift took first in the one-meter dive with a score of 251.40. However, her score of 226.57 in the three-meter was nudged out of first by Northeastern’s Rachel Peterson (227.31).

The women traveled again to Boston to compete against the Northeastern team they defeated at the Terrier Invitational.

“After facing them at the Terrier, we surprised them by being so tired,” Newcomb said. “We did not swim as fast, but we did not have expectations to.”

Junior Jennifer Corriveau took the women’s first victory of the day with a 100-yard backstroke time of 1:01.08.

Megan Nowak followed with a 100-yard breaststroke first-place finish (1:08.76). The junior edged Northeastern’s Keary McClernan by just twelve-tenths of a second for the win. McClernan later took the 200-yard breaststroke by more than a second over silver finisher Nowak, who touched in at 2:28.80.

“Nowak’s 100-breast was the performance of the week,” Newcomb said. “She got right up off the block and swam a great race.”

In the 200-yard medley relay, the women took a lead into the third leg, but finished behind Northeastern with a time of 1:51.47. Corriveau was joined by freshman Amino Meho and juniors Jessica Starosielec and Sarah Kanellas.

The women took first in the 400-yard freestyle relay, with Meho and Corriveau swimming with sophomore Molly Papish and senior Elizabeth Walsh.

Other top finishes were swam by Walsh (200-yard freestyle, 1:57.35) and sophomore Kayla Tegeler (200-yard butterfly, 2:13.90).

The women also held three of the top four spots in 1000-yard freestyle. Papish took second (10:45.10), with freshmen Julie Magyar (10:49.02) and sophomore Chelsea Downing (10:52.03) finishing behind her.

The 200-yard individual medley was also a heavy UMass victory, with Nowak (2:16.80) and Starosielec (2:19.18) finishing second and third behind junior Tavis Potter (2:13.30).

“Tavis was our performer of the week,” Newcomb said. “I was really impressed with her racing.” Potter also improved on her 200-yard freestyle time.

The teams will next travel to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the Loyola Invitational on Jan. 9th.

Daniel Herberholz can be reached at danielherberholz@gmail.com.