Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass swimming and diving teams successful in dual meets

It was a very busy weekend for the Massachusetts swimming and diving teams. Not only did both teams travel on Friday to compete in their first dual meet since Dec. 5, but after a short turnaround, they competed in another race.

On Sunday, UMass traveled to Colgate for their seventh dual meet of the season.

The Minutemen were able to capitalize on yet another strong day off the diving board by sophomore Jason Cook, as well as an impressive day from the UMass Athlete of the Week Joey Sbordon. UMass emerged victorious against the Red Raiders with a score of 182-106. Cook for the second time in one weekend, placed first in both the one and three meter dives.

Sbordon won both the 1650 freestyle and 200 backstroke with times of 16:39:36 and 2:00:91 respectively. The wins on Saturday give him a team best 15 individual wins this season.

The Minutemen were also anchored by significant contributions from their talented freshman class. Freshman Beau Garufi played an instrumental role in Sunday’s win, as he took the 100 and 200 breaststroke events.  Fellow Freshman Jorge Fortin was victorious in the 100 backstroke, as the Minutemen improved to 5-2 in dual meets this season.

The Minutewomen were defeated by the Red Raiders by a score of 189-110. The Minutewomen had several key contributors, including victories from junior Tavis Potter, and sophomore Hannah Swift on the diving board. The diving team also received a second place finish from Michaela Butler.

The weekend started great for both teams, as they competed against Boston College at Chestnut Hill. Behind strong performances from several swimmers, including sophomore Sarah Kanallas and captain Elizabeth Walsh.

The Minutewomen dominated the Eagles to earn their forth victory in dual meets this season, winning by a score of 174.5-125.5 on Friday afternoon. Kanellas’ day included victories in both the 100 and 200 butterfly events. Walsh led her 200 medley relay team, and helped them capture first place, but did so by receiving strong times from junior Jessica Starosielec, freshman Amina Meho and Kallenas. Freshman Julie Magyar performed well, as she won the 1000 and 500 freestyle events. Hannah Swift swept the diving events, as she placed first in both the one meter and three meter events. In all, the Minutewomen won 12 of 16 events.

The Minutemen were in complete control on Friday as well, as they were able to earn yet another victory against BC. In the 19 matchups between the two programs, the Minutemen have emerged as victorious all but one time.

The Minutemen won 15 of 16 events in Friday’s meet, and received strong performances by a wide contingent of swimmers. Sbordon won three individual events on Friday, while junior Brian Schmidt made his presence felt in the pool, as he earned victories in both 100 and 200 breaststroke. Both of the Minutemen 200 medley relay teams finished side by side, earning the number one and two slots in the race.

Saturday will be special for both the men and women’s swim team, as they will participate in Senior Day against Fordham University at Joseph Rogers Pool.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.