Reflecting over three years as a sports writer -

What I’ve learned from UMass and what UMass can learn from me -

UMass track and field holds its own in Larry Ellis Invitational -

UMass tennis gets two Atlantic 10 victories over weekend -

My two years of survival -

Amherst man to row from Miami to New York City to help fund John P. Musante Health Center -

Brush fires prove problematic for Western Massachusetts communities -

UConn, Boston College up next for UMass softball -

UMass rowing strong against tough competition -

United Airlines: Our perpetual outrage isn’t why people are angry -

Senior Columns 2016-2017 -

Poets Andrea Gibson and Megan Falley spark deeper dialogue in their performances at Iron Horse Music Hall -

Dissecting Science: Episode Three -

Softball sweeps Saint Joseph’s to take over first place in the Atlantic 10 -

Report: UMass men’s basketball lands Maryland transfer Jaylen Brantley -

UMass baseball takes two out of three in weekend series with La Salle -

UMass men’s lacrosse can’t keep pace with Hofstra in road loss -

Q&A with UMass student app creator -

UMass women’s lacrosse squeaks past George Mason 18-17 -

Events in Turkey today echo patterns of Armenian genocide -

UMass swimming and diving teams successful in dual meets

It was a very busy weekend for the Massachusetts swimming and diving teams. Not only did both teams travel on Friday to compete in their first dual meet since Dec. 5, but after a short turnaround, they competed in another race.

On Sunday, UMass traveled to Colgate for their seventh dual meet of the season.

The Minutemen were able to capitalize on yet another strong day off the diving board by sophomore Jason Cook, as well as an impressive day from the UMass Athlete of the Week Joey Sbordon. UMass emerged victorious against the Red Raiders with a score of 182-106. Cook for the second time in one weekend, placed first in both the one and three meter dives.

Sbordon won both the 1650 freestyle and 200 backstroke with times of 16:39:36 and 2:00:91 respectively. The wins on Saturday give him a team best 15 individual wins this season.

The Minutemen were also anchored by significant contributions from their talented freshman class. Freshman Beau Garufi played an instrumental role in Sunday’s win, as he took the 100 and 200 breaststroke events.  Fellow Freshman Jorge Fortin was victorious in the 100 backstroke, as the Minutemen improved to 5-2 in dual meets this season.

The Minutewomen were defeated by the Red Raiders by a score of 189-110. The Minutewomen had several key contributors, including victories from junior Tavis Potter, and sophomore Hannah Swift on the diving board. The diving team also received a second place finish from Michaela Butler.

The weekend started great for both teams, as they competed against Boston College at Chestnut Hill. Behind strong performances from several swimmers, including sophomore Sarah Kanallas and captain Elizabeth Walsh.

The Minutewomen dominated the Eagles to earn their forth victory in dual meets this season, winning by a score of 174.5-125.5 on Friday afternoon. Kanellas’ day included victories in both the 100 and 200 butterfly events. Walsh led her 200 medley relay team, and helped them capture first place, but did so by receiving strong times from junior Jessica Starosielec, freshman Amina Meho and Kallenas. Freshman Julie Magyar performed well, as she won the 1000 and 500 freestyle events. Hannah Swift swept the diving events, as she placed first in both the one meter and three meter events. In all, the Minutewomen won 12 of 16 events.

The Minutemen were in complete control on Friday as well, as they were able to earn yet another victory against BC. In the 19 matchups between the two programs, the Minutemen have emerged as victorious all but one time.

The Minutemen won 15 of 16 events in Friday’s meet, and received strong performances by a wide contingent of swimmers. Sbordon won three individual events on Friday, while junior Brian Schmidt made his presence felt in the pool, as he earned victories in both 100 and 200 breaststroke. Both of the Minutemen 200 medley relay teams finished side by side, earning the number one and two slots in the race.

Saturday will be special for both the men and women’s swim team, as they will participate in Senior Day against Fordham University at Joseph Rogers Pool.

Jeffrey Engmann can be reached at jengmann@student.umass.edu.