Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Late surge by Minutemen comes up short

BballA 1

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team was almost there.

A big second half comeback, improved shooting, and stout defense nearly came together for the Minutemen against Xavier Wednesday night at the Mullins Center.

UMass (8-14, 2-6 Atlantic 10), however, couldn’t hold off a strong shooting performance from Musketeers (16-6, 8-1 A-10) guard Jordan Crawford, falling 87-79 on Leaman Legacy Night.

Crawford, the leading scorer in the A-10, scored a game-high 25 points, going 8-for-15 from the field and 5-of-8 from deep.

“I thought that was a good Atlantic 10 battle, Xavier was really good in the first half, pulling out to a 17-point halftime lead,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “Our guys regrouped at halftime and put a little scare into them, and I thought we played tough and really made plays and shared the basketball.”

The Minutemen started firing on all cylinders at the beginning of the second half, causing three steals in the first four minutes while shooting 5-for-7 on the other end of the court.  UMass went on an 12-2 run with two 3-pointers from senior guard Ricky Harris, one from junior guard Gary Correia and a three-point play from redshirt junior Hashim Bailey.

Harris had 24 points, going 11-of-20 from the field, but struggled from beyond the arc, going just 2-of-8 from 3-point range.

“That was as good as he’s played in the second half all year,” Kellogg said. “He shared the basketball, he was working and scrapping on defense, and at times I thought he was the best player on the floor in that half.”

Correia, as well as Harris, saw extensive time at the point guard position, as sophomore David Gibbs broke his foot in Monday’s practice and will likely be out the remainder of the season.

Harris made a lay-up in transition to tie the game at 62, followed by a made free-throw from Anthony Gurley to put the Minutemen up one with nearly seven and a half minutes to play.

Both teams exchanged leads eight times over the next three minutes, but Green put the game out of reach with back-to-back 3’s followed by a three-point play by forward Jamel McLean (14 points, 11 rebounds) that put the game out of reach quickly for UMass.

Kellogg started three freshmen against the Musketeers, including forwards Terrell Vinson and Javorn Farrell and guard Freddie Riley. Riley added 10 points, while Farrell and Vinson added 12 and 11 respectively.

The Minutemen were outrebounded, 36-32, by the Musketeers, but shot a respectable 43 percent from the field.

After tough losses against two of the best teams in the league, the Minutemen face Rhode Island on Saturday.

“The league this year is as good as it’s ever been,” Kellogg said. “Top to bottom, I don’t know when it’s ever been this good, they have six teams in our league in the NCAA tournament,” Kellogg said.

The Minutemen have not won a conference game at home since Jan. 6, when they defeated Fordham, 78-76.

Even with the way UMass played down the stretch, Kellogg wants to see his team’s hard work turn into victories.

“I’m going to keep preaching to my guys, we can’t settle for not coming out on top, but at the same token, it is a little bit of a process right now,” Kellogg said.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.