Co-chair of women’s march on Washington Linda Sarsour talks resisting the age of Trump -

Late-inning grand slam gives Dayton 5-2 win over UMass baseball -

GEO holds rally for better working conditions -

Prison Abolition Collective spreads awareness of mass incarceration -

Co-chair of the Women’s March on Washington, Linda Sarsour, to speak at UMass Friday -

UMass tennis sets sights for Atlantic 10 tournament -

Weather postpones UMass softball as it sets its sights on weekend series with La Salle -

UMass men’s lacrosse preps for final regular season game with CAA tournament looming -

‘Girls’ gives an honest farewell with final season -

Don’t stress too much about spoilers -

Reserving the right energy for the final push -

An unexpected impact -

White dove, red ribbon -

Making hard decisions in college -

Marc Osten fondly remembered by student activism community -

New Design Building officially opened -

New natural gas pipeline proposed between Easthampton and Holyoke -

UMass men’s lacrosse to honor seniors Friday against Drexel -

UMass baseball bullpen getting stronger as the season goes on -

Assistant coach Ben Barr, a major reason for UMass hockey’s prized recruiting class -

Jacques Rogge has declared the 2010 Olympics Closed

The games are officially over. When International Olympics Commitee President Jacques Rogge said some variation of these words just moments ago, there were boos and overall sounds of unrest filled the Olympic Stadium in Vancouver. His announcement comes after the Olympic flag was passed from the mayor of Vancouver to the mayor of Sochi, Russia, the host city of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Though it’s a pretty unknown place, I have the feeling that it will rise to be a good host city. The small cultural ceremony they put on tonight was interesting, featuring Russian dancers in traditional costumes as well as their world-famous ice dancers. Viewers were finally treated to a Russian opera singer, pulled around the floor by a technological troika (a sort of wagon). Many famous athletes were also shown, including Wayne Gretsky and silver medalist ice dancer Yevgeny Pleshenko.

Before Neil Young sang “Long May You Run,” while the flame was extinguished, Jacques Rogge made his speech, saying that “these were excellent and very friendly games.” Maybe he forgot about the growing feud between American skiiers Julia Mancuso and Lindsay Vonn (with Mancuso making very public, veiled insults), or the disparaging comments made about Evan Lysacek by Pleshenko and Vladimir Putin?

Now we enter the newest phase of the ceremony, as Canadian celebrities make fun of their culture and traditions (most of their jokes seem to revolve around speaking two different languages and streaching out the “o” in “sorry). William Shatner, Catherine O’Hara (who seems to have seen better days), and Michael J. Fox have already spoken, bringing giggles to the crowd. Who’s up next?

4 Responses to “Jacques Rogge has declared the 2010 Olympics Closed”
  1. Debi says:

That was not Wayne Gretzky it was Alexander Ovechkin. Wayne Gretzky is Canadian not Russian and you mis-spelled his name!

2. Jas Sandhu says:

Absolutely stunning games were excellent hands down! Will miss these 2010 Games very much 🙁

3. slalom says:

I though that with the exception of Atlanta, the IOC president ALWAYS declared the games “the best games ever” in his closing remarks. That these were an “excellent and friendly games” is an insult to Canada

4. mt says:

Re: slalom

“The Best Games Ever” declaration was made by former IOC President Juan Antonio Sammaranch, who left his post after the Sydney 2000 Olympics and who passed away earlier this year. Jacques Rogges has been the IOC President since the Salt Lake 2002 Olympics and has not continued Sammaranch’s tradition. Each declaration is different and unique, reflecting on what the Games experience was.