Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

2017 Hockey Special Issue -

International Relations Club tackles tough issues at ‘Foreign Policy Coffee Hour’ -

Sexual assault reports spike on campus -

Californian students react to wildfires back home -

‘My Little Pony: The Movie’ is a surprising animated treat, whether you’re a fan of the show or not -

With a young team, Carvel is preparing the UMass hockey team to thrive -

Letter: UMass hockey is great, but where are the students? -

Boino’s blast gives UMass men’s soccer sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10 -

UMass freshmen look to play physical, make an impact and improve early on -

UMass hockey sets out to create new program, identity in 2017-18 -

Cale Makar: UMass hockey’s crown jewel -

Ames: If first four games are any indicator, this UMass hockey season could differ for the better -

Josh Couturier looks to find where he fits within UMass lineup -

The straw man fallacy: missing the point on Indigenous Peoples Day -

Power to the Thin Mint: improve the Girls Scouts program -

‘Blade Runner 2049’ has a lot of ideas that it fails to develop -

Early season challenge awaits for UMass hockey in weekend set with Ohio State -

UMass Professor Barbara Krauthamer receives award from Association of Black Women Historians -

Jacques Rogge has declared the 2010 Olympics Closed

The games are officially over. When International Olympics Commitee President Jacques Rogge said some variation of these words just moments ago, there were boos and overall sounds of unrest filled the Olympic Stadium in Vancouver. His announcement comes after the Olympic flag was passed from the mayor of Vancouver to the mayor of Sochi, Russia, the host city of the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Though it’s a pretty unknown place, I have the feeling that it will rise to be a good host city. The small cultural ceremony they put on tonight was interesting, featuring Russian dancers in traditional costumes as well as their world-famous ice dancers. Viewers were finally treated to a Russian opera singer, pulled around the floor by a technological troika (a sort of wagon). Many famous athletes were also shown, including Wayne Gretsky and silver medalist ice dancer Yevgeny Pleshenko.

Before Neil Young sang “Long May You Run,” while the flame was extinguished, Jacques Rogge made his speech, saying that “these were excellent and very friendly games.” Maybe he forgot about the growing feud between American skiiers Julia Mancuso and Lindsay Vonn (with Mancuso making very public, veiled insults), or the disparaging comments made about Evan Lysacek by Pleshenko and Vladimir Putin?

Now we enter the newest phase of the ceremony, as Canadian celebrities make fun of their culture and traditions (most of their jokes seem to revolve around speaking two different languages and streaching out the “o” in “sorry). William Shatner, Catherine O’Hara (who seems to have seen better days), and Michael J. Fox have already spoken, bringing giggles to the crowd. Who’s up next?

4 Responses to “Jacques Rogge has declared the 2010 Olympics Closed”
  1. Debi says:

That was not Wayne Gretzky it was Alexander Ovechkin. Wayne Gretzky is Canadian not Russian and you mis-spelled his name!

2. Jas Sandhu says:

Absolutely stunning games were excellent hands down! Will miss these 2010 Games very much 🙁

3. slalom says:

I though that with the exception of Atlanta, the IOC president ALWAYS declared the games “the best games ever” in his closing remarks. That these were an “excellent and friendly games” is an insult to Canada

4. mt says:

Re: slalom

“The Best Games Ever” declaration was made by former IOC President Juan Antonio Sammaranch, who left his post after the Sydney 2000 Olympics and who passed away earlier this year. Jacques Rogges has been the IOC President since the Salt Lake 2002 Olympics and has not continued Sammaranch’s tradition. Each declaration is different and unique, reflecting on what the Games experience was.