UMass basketball outlasts Florida State 75-69 -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Minutemen ride strong bench play to 75-69 win over Florida state -

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Minutemen risk missing A-10 Tournament with loss

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team might now have to try to clinch an Atlantic 10 Tournament birth without one of its best players, and could rely on another team losing just to get by.

The Minutemen (10-19, 4-11 A-10) fell to La Salle Wednesday night, 89-78, at the Tom Gola Arena, and lost forward Terrell Vinson to a left ankle injury early on in the second half.

UMass must now win against Rhode Island Saturday or have Saint Joseph’s lose at home to the Explorers.

The Hawks defeated George Washington on Wednesday night, hurting UMass’ postseason hopes, as the Minutemen could have clinched with an SJU loss.

“I’m not a big man on excuses, but he’s become a guy we rely on,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said of Vinson. “He has been rebounding the ball, and he is one of our tougher players, and anyone who has watched our team knows he is one of our primary options, so I hope his ankle is alright for Saturday.”

Vinson finished the night with eight points on 4-of-4 shooting, while grabbing three rebounds in 11 minutes before leaving the game.

“We don’t really know too much, I think it was a sprain, so I’m happy it wasn’t severe,” Kellogg said. “We need him to get better and to establish himself because he is one of the better freshmen in the league, but we made runs without him.”

Senior guard Ricky Harris led the game with 31 points, including hitting a career-high eight 3-pointers, while A-10 leading scorer Rodney Green scored 30 for the Explorers in a match-up featuring the two leading scorers on the Explorers’ Senior Night.

“Ricky’s a very emotional guy, and it was a tough loss, and he wants a chance to play in an A-10 tournament his senior year,” Kellogg said. “He gave it everything he had, and I gave him the green light, and he deserves it. Nineteen threes are a few to many, but he had a lot of good looks.”

Harris went 11-of-26 from the field and 8-of-19 from beyond the arc while finishing with seven rebounds, three steals and five assists.

With Harris’ 3-pointers, the Minutemen set a school record of 39 attempts, while shooting 41 percent from the field.

Along with Harris, freshman guard Freddie Riley and Sampson Carter had nine points each, while Sean Carter and Anthony Gurley had seven and eight points respectively.

“I’m frustrated with the way the outcome went, and there were a few plays we didn’t come up with the ball or make the right play,” Kellogg said. “We pride ourselves on making it to the free throw line and we didn’t do that tonight.”

The Minutemen went 11-of-19 from the line, while the Explorers were 28-of-38. La Salle also scored 22 points off turnovers and 38 points in the paint, while scoring 14 fast break points.

The Minutemen complete their regular season when they take on Rhode Island at the Mullins Center this Saturday at 4 p.m.

The Rams are coming off an 80-58 win over Charlotte on Wednesday evening as Delroy James paced URI with 13 points, eight rebounds and four steals, while Keith Cothran led the way with 18 points.

UMass fell to the Rams back on Feb. 6, 93-85, as Harris led the way with 32 points. The Minutemen erased a late 24-point deficit, scoring 21 points late in the second half to come within six points, but could not break even.

This will be the 134th meeting between the two teams, with the Minutemen winning 32 of the past 45 meetings, including four of the last six.

Gurley was second on the team with 15, while Carter added 11 in the loss against URI.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.