VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Minutewomen sweep Fordham in battle of A-10 unbeatens

Saturday’s game was not the usual hitting display that the Massachusetts softball team has become accustomed to since beginning Atlantic 10 play, but it continued to stay undefeated as it swept Fordham, the only other conference team receiving votes.

Pitcher Sara Plourde recorded her 11th shut-out against the Rams, 2-0, in the first game and won a close 3-2 game later that afternoon. The sophomore finished the day with 29 strikeouts and moved past the nation’s strikeout leader, Troy’s Ashlyn Williams (282 strikeouts), with 302 strikeouts this season.

Plourde is currently sixth for the highest number of strikeouts in a single season. In the first game, Plourde struck out 18 batters while allowing one hit to first baseman, Jamie LaBovick.

UMass coach Elaine Sortino called Fordham pitcher Jen Mineau one of the best in the country, but her arm couldn’t keep Sortino’s team from producing the offense it needed to win.

The Minutewomen (21-7, 6-0 A-10) didn’t strike until the third inning when second baseman Kyllie Magill hit a two-out double to bring in shortstop Whitney Williams. Sophomore Katie Bettencourt added to the damage in the sixth inning with a solo home run.

UMass ended the game with six hits, all from different players.

“Our timely hitting really, really helped,” Sortino said. “I thought our [players] had pretty good discipline at the plate and they did a good job.”

In Game 2, Plourde allowed two runs and five hits in seven innings after keeping the Rams scoreless through six.

Sortino believes the problems started in the second inning, but never really threatened the Minutewomen until the seventh, when the Rams had four hits to end the inning.

The rally started with Erin Fisher, who hit a single to left field after LaBovick flied out. Beckah Wiggins followed that up with a home run to drive in Fisher and put Fordham down one run.

Plourde allowed another two singles to go by after the second out, but finished the game with her 11th strikeout against Nicole Callahan.

“Our pitches got a little flat,” Sortino said. “They weren’t moving the way they needed to, and [Fordham] is a good team too.”

Even with Plourde being a little flat, UMass still won the game with its hitting. The Minutewomen got an early start when Williams reached second base on a fielding error, then advanced to third on a wild pitch.

Magill once again brought home Williams, this time on a sacrifice fly to right field.

The Maroon and White stayed quiet until the fifth inning when freshman Teea Rogers hit a leadoff double. Sophomore Jordan Storro pinch ran for Rogers, who scored after outfielder Carly Normandin hit a double with one out.

UMass made one last run in the top of the seventh inning when Rogers tripled on her second hit of the day. Rogers scored on a single to left field by junior Audrey Boutin.

“That’s big help for a pitcher just to have the offense hit runs,” Plourde said.

The Minutewomen will make their way back to Massachusetts against Boston College on Tuesday before playing their home opener on Wednesday. UMass was supposed to have its first home game on March 30 in a double-header with Dartmouth, but it was rained out.

A makeup date has yet to be announced.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.