UMass students show lackluster attitude toward ‘Mullins Live!’ concert -

UMass women’s basketball loses in first round of Atlantic 10 Tournament -

Ryan Adams perfects his melancholy, widescreen take on 80s heartland rock on ‘Prisoner’ -

Exposing the horrific crime of modern-day slavery -

UMass men’s basketball successfully drops La Salle 84-71 in confidence-building win -

UMass men’s lacrosse’s late rally falls short against Harvard -

UMass women’s lacrosse struggles to find offense in loss to No. 5 Syracuse -

With Perez, Democrats remain in limbo -

UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Gaffney signs deal with hometown Celtics

Former Massachusetts men’s basketball player Tony Gaffney’s dream has finally come true.

Gaffney signed a nonguaranteed contract with the Boston Celtics Tuesday afternoon, and it is possible that he could be with the team in Chicago when they take on the Bulls Tuesday night.

Gaffney was signed along with Oliver Lafayette, and both players will be around for the Celtics season finale Wednesday against the Milwaukee Bucks, as well as the playoffs.

After leaving UMass, Gaffney – a lifelong Celtics fan from Somerset, MA. – signed a free agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers.

With Los Angeles being the first team to offer him a contract, Gaffney said it was easy to switch his allegiances.

“I immediately went from a die-hard Celtics fan to a die-hard Lakers fan,” Gaffney said last August.

“That part was easy,” Gaffney later added. “They were the first team to give me the opportunity to play in the NBA, and it was easy falling in love with the Lakers organization.”

After playing for their summer league team after not getting drafted, Gaffney was offered an invitation to the Lakers preseason camp, but he was later cut. Gaffney then went to play overseas in Israel before breaking his foot.

Now, Gaffney will have to switch his allegiances back to where they all began, with the Celtics being the first NBA team to give him a legitimate shot at actually playing in an NBA game. Gaffney will most likely see more time with the team this summer, with the Celtics joining the Orlando Summer League.

As a senior for the Minutemen, Gaffney averaged a double-double with 11.5 points and 10.2 rebounds per game while also ranking third in the country with and 3.8 blocks per game.

Gaffney’s younger brother, Bud is a junior walk-on guard for UMass who transferred from Wheaton College, and has two years of eligibility left with the Minutemen.

Jeffrey R. Larnard can be reached at jlarnard@dailycollegian.com.

David Brinch can be reached at dbrinch@student.umass.edu.