UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Video: Minutewomen clinch first seed in conference tourney

UMass Field Hockey @ La Salle from Daily Collegian on Vimeo.

PHILADELPHIA – The Massachusetts field hockey team clinched the first seed in the Atlantic 10 tournament by extending its winning streak to nine games with wins over West Chester and La Salle during the weekend.

UMass (13-6, 7-0 A-10) finished its conference schedule undefeated with a 2-1 win over the Explorers on Sunday. With a nine-game winning streak, the Minutewomen passed Ohio State and Maryland for the longest streak in the country.

“I felt like we played some pretty good hockey and certainly had a lot of opportunities,” UMass coach Justine Sowry said.

The Minutewomen played on field turf, which made the ball harder to control because of how much it bounced around. Sowry said the field conditions might’ve hindered her team in having even better success against La Salle.

But the conditions didn’t deny the Maroon and White a perfect A-10 record. Junior Thando Zono scored the first goal of the game, 16 minutes, three seconds into the half on a shot in the right corner to give UMass the lead.

The Explorers came right back with a goal of its own at the end of the first half from Gabrielle Nolt to tie the game at one apiece.

Explorer goalkeeper Emma Ruth worked the Maroon and White offense in hopes of giving her team a chance to pull off the upset and, for the most part, her efforts paid off, as she picked up 11 saves in the loss.

“She did a really good job,” UM senior Katie Kelly said. “She was able to get her hands on the ball early, but that just made each save easier for us. We really need to capitalize on these good goalies by scoring early.”

However, she couldn’t handle the swarm of Minutewomen, who invaded La Salle’s side of the field as they tallied their second goal of the game.

“We shuffled the lineup halfway through that second half and we looked very strong,” Sowry said.

With a little over 19 minutes to play, Kelly caught the ball off a deflection from Ruth, who already batted the ball away multiple times, to give her team the game-winner.

One of the indicators of UMass’ success came on penalty corners, as it held a 17-6 advantage on them throughout the day.

On Friday, the Minutewomen delivered an all-around attack to defeat the Golden Lions, 3-0. Alesha Widdall finished the game with four saves on the day behind a solid UMass defense.

The Minutewomen out-shot the Golden Lions, 12-5. Although WCU had four of those shots on goal, goalkeeper Widdall’s solid effort allowed her to tally her sixth shutout of the season.

On the offensive end, the Maroon and White stayed efficient by converting 25 percent of those attempts 12 into goals.

Sophomore Kim Young scored her first goal of the season eight minutes, 33 seconds into the game unassisted. UMass held onto the advantage in the second half when Zono converted on an assist from Kelly on the penalty corner. It was Zono’s fifth goal of the season.

Penalty corners were a key component in allowing the Minutewomen to attack the net as often as they did, by holding an 8-3 advantage over the Golden Lions.

The last penalty corner that WCU held during the game turned out to be the last score for Sowry and Co. Freshman Lindsay Bowman scored at 54:40, as Kelly recorded her second assist of the game.

UMass had little trouble coasting throughout the remainder of the contest.

The A-10 tournament starts in Philadelphia on Nov. 5. The winner in both semifinal games will advance to play the next day with an automatic berth to the NCAA tournament on the line.

Adam Miller can be reached at amiller@dailycollegian.com.