UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

Minutemen begin season at home against Rider

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team opens its regular season on Friday when it takes on Rider.

For UMass coach Derek Kellogg and the rest of the Minutemen, the home-opener is less about being concerned with Rider as it is about dealing with things on its own front.

“This time of year you really have to concentrate on your own team and get them ready to compete at the highest level,” Kellogg said. “We’ll concentrate on our own team.”

The last time the Minutemen took the court was in an exhibition game at the Mullins Center where the Maroon and White thrashed Division III opponent Brandeis, 83-60.

Guard Daryl Traynham put on an impressive performance, earning a team-high 15 points, just ahead of Anthony Gurley, who had 13 points and seven assists.

Even though the Minutemen had some successful scoring, Kellogg still witnessed a slew of bad shots being taken by the squad, which is something he wants changed as the season unfolds.

“It’s hard to win at the college level if you’re taking…tough shots [in] a game,” Kellogg said. “My goal is to have [shot selection] get better and better.”

One of the issues Kellogg saw in the game against the Judges was the slim margin in which the Minutemen out-rebounded Brandeis (35-31). Grabbing boards is just one of the things that Kellogg wants to fix this coming Friday night.

“I want every dribble and every rebound to be contested,” Kellogg said.

On the other side of things, the Broncs come to Amherst with an identical situation after trouncing The College of New Jersey, 80-42, in an exhibition game.

Junior Brandon Penn did a lot of the work for Rider, scoring 19 points in the affair. Along with senior Mike Ringgold (nine points, game-high 12 rebounds), Penn and the rest of the Broncs cruised to victory after a 14-0 third-quarter run over the Lions.

Though they’re focused on building up their own team, the Minutemen aren’t overlooking Rider as the game draws near.

“The reason its more [difficult] than if we play them in the midseason, they return a veteran group,” Kellogg said. “It’s a tough game for us, definite, definite tough game for us.”

As for what Kellogg is looking for in the game against the Broncs is to see fans pour out into the Mullins Center and assist the Maroon and White in any way they can.

“I’m not sure if the students even realize that the season ticket holders…want to see the students there,” Kellogg said. “I spoke to a group today of maybe 50 students and told them that people used to wait in line to get into the Mullins Center. Take advantage of what you and have a little more UMass pride.”

Last season, Rider displayed an impressive run through the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament, reaching the second-round game where it fell, 77-52, to Niagara.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.