UMass defense can’t stop late Toledo surge, Minutemen fall 42-35 -

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutemen begin season at home against Rider

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team opens its regular season on Friday when it takes on Rider.

For UMass coach Derek Kellogg and the rest of the Minutemen, the home-opener is less about being concerned with Rider as it is about dealing with things on its own front.

“This time of year you really have to concentrate on your own team and get them ready to compete at the highest level,” Kellogg said. “We’ll concentrate on our own team.”

The last time the Minutemen took the court was in an exhibition game at the Mullins Center where the Maroon and White thrashed Division III opponent Brandeis, 83-60.

Guard Daryl Traynham put on an impressive performance, earning a team-high 15 points, just ahead of Anthony Gurley, who had 13 points and seven assists.

Even though the Minutemen had some successful scoring, Kellogg still witnessed a slew of bad shots being taken by the squad, which is something he wants changed as the season unfolds.

“It’s hard to win at the college level if you’re taking…tough shots [in] a game,” Kellogg said. “My goal is to have [shot selection] get better and better.”

One of the issues Kellogg saw in the game against the Judges was the slim margin in which the Minutemen out-rebounded Brandeis (35-31). Grabbing boards is just one of the things that Kellogg wants to fix this coming Friday night.

“I want every dribble and every rebound to be contested,” Kellogg said.

On the other side of things, the Broncs come to Amherst with an identical situation after trouncing The College of New Jersey, 80-42, in an exhibition game.

Junior Brandon Penn did a lot of the work for Rider, scoring 19 points in the affair. Along with senior Mike Ringgold (nine points, game-high 12 rebounds), Penn and the rest of the Broncs cruised to victory after a 14-0 third-quarter run over the Lions.

Though they’re focused on building up their own team, the Minutemen aren’t overlooking Rider as the game draws near.

“The reason its more [difficult] than if we play them in the midseason, they return a veteran group,” Kellogg said. “It’s a tough game for us, definite, definite tough game for us.”

As for what Kellogg is looking for in the game against the Broncs is to see fans pour out into the Mullins Center and assist the Maroon and White in any way they can.

“I’m not sure if the students even realize that the season ticket holders…want to see the students there,” Kellogg said. “I spoke to a group today of maybe 50 students and told them that people used to wait in line to get into the Mullins Center. Take advantage of what you and have a little more UMass pride.”

Last season, Rider displayed an impressive run through the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament, reaching the second-round game where it fell, 77-52, to Niagara.

Herb Scribner can be reached at hscribne@student.umass.edu.