UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Carter improves game against Sacred Heart

Hannah Cohen/Collegian

On a night when the Massachusetts men’s basketball team didn’t receive more than 20 points from a single player, sophomore Sampson Carter had a career game to lead the offense alongside UMass’ top scorer, Anthony Gurley.

Carter scored 17 points, easily topping his previous career-high of 13 against St. Francis on Nov. 24, 2009, to help the Minutemen (2-0) defeat Sacred Heart, 73-65, Wednesday night at the Mullins Center. He also grabbed a game-high eight rebounds, as well as chipping in as a steal and a block in the victory.

The lanky forward shot 50 percent from the field on 5-of-10 shooting and converted 7-of-8 free throws. As a freshman, Carter led UMass in free throw shooting, making 40-of-52 (76.9 percent) of his chances at the charity stripe.

At times last year, Carter roamed the perimeter and opted for shots beyond the arc. This season, UMass head coach Derek Kellogg sees an improvement in Carter’s offensive game.

“You see he’s taking a lot less 3’s and he’s scoring more because he’s good around the rim, he can get by guys on the dribble, he’s good in transition and he’s a great kid that’s working hard,” Kellogg said.

“It took me a long time to figure it out, maybe a year since last year, but that’s what coach is helped me on,” Carter said. “I’m actually starting to see and realize that I get better results playing off my defense and that brings the offense.”

After averaging 15.4 minutes and starting seven games last year, Carter has seen an increase in playing time and has been in the starting lineup in the first two contests this season.

Against Rider, Carter played a team-high 30 minutes, scoring nine points and grabbing four rebounds. Kellogg, however, said that Carter would compete with Javorn Farrell when the guard becomes healthy.

Kellogg saw this type of potential in Carter when recruiting him to UMass. In fact, Kellogg knew the Baton Rouge, La., native since he was 10-years-old after coaching him at a summer camp in Memphis. Carter’s brother, Shyrone Chatman, is also the director of player personnel for the Minutemen.

Despite their close relationship, Kellogg hasn’t taken it easy on Carter.

“Sampson, he’s had a rough go of it here,” Kellogg said. “I’ve stayed on him probably on a daily basis for the last year and a half just because I want him to do the things that make him a good player.”

Though UMass’ result against the Pioneers (0-3) was the same as the season opener, the Minutemen got it done in a different way. Unlike the victory over Rider, UMass didn’t get a 31-point performance from Gurley, who still scored a team-high 18 points, and sophomore guard Freddie Riley never caught fire.

Nevertheless, Carter’s performance backed up what Kellogg and the rest of the team said prior to the start of the season: points can come from any player on any given night.

“I’m pretty sure that you can see that we have so many different weapons, so on any given night anybody can go off,” Carter said. “That’s the type of team we’re going to be this year.”

Carter is the second sophomore this season (Riley being the other) to lead the offense, alongside Gurley. Kellogg is looking for the second-year players to make more of an impact this year and the only sophomore who hasn’t had a big game so far is Terrell Vinson.

Carter, however, thinks that will change sooner rather than later.

“Yeah, that’s another weapon that you haven’t seen yet,” Carter said with a smile.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.