UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Rally in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Carter improves game against Sacred Heart

Hannah Cohen/Collegian

On a night when the Massachusetts men’s basketball team didn’t receive more than 20 points from a single player, sophomore Sampson Carter had a career game to lead the offense alongside UMass’ top scorer, Anthony Gurley.

Carter scored 17 points, easily topping his previous career-high of 13 against St. Francis on Nov. 24, 2009, to help the Minutemen (2-0) defeat Sacred Heart, 73-65, Wednesday night at the Mullins Center. He also grabbed a game-high eight rebounds, as well as chipping in as a steal and a block in the victory.

The lanky forward shot 50 percent from the field on 5-of-10 shooting and converted 7-of-8 free throws. As a freshman, Carter led UMass in free throw shooting, making 40-of-52 (76.9 percent) of his chances at the charity stripe.

At times last year, Carter roamed the perimeter and opted for shots beyond the arc. This season, UMass head coach Derek Kellogg sees an improvement in Carter’s offensive game.

“You see he’s taking a lot less 3’s and he’s scoring more because he’s good around the rim, he can get by guys on the dribble, he’s good in transition and he’s a great kid that’s working hard,” Kellogg said.

“It took me a long time to figure it out, maybe a year since last year, but that’s what coach is helped me on,” Carter said. “I’m actually starting to see and realize that I get better results playing off my defense and that brings the offense.”

After averaging 15.4 minutes and starting seven games last year, Carter has seen an increase in playing time and has been in the starting lineup in the first two contests this season.

Against Rider, Carter played a team-high 30 minutes, scoring nine points and grabbing four rebounds. Kellogg, however, said that Carter would compete with Javorn Farrell when the guard becomes healthy.

Kellogg saw this type of potential in Carter when recruiting him to UMass. In fact, Kellogg knew the Baton Rouge, La., native since he was 10-years-old after coaching him at a summer camp in Memphis. Carter’s brother, Shyrone Chatman, is also the director of player personnel for the Minutemen.

Despite their close relationship, Kellogg hasn’t taken it easy on Carter.

“Sampson, he’s had a rough go of it here,” Kellogg said. “I’ve stayed on him probably on a daily basis for the last year and a half just because I want him to do the things that make him a good player.”

Though UMass’ result against the Pioneers (0-3) was the same as the season opener, the Minutemen got it done in a different way. Unlike the victory over Rider, UMass didn’t get a 31-point performance from Gurley, who still scored a team-high 18 points, and sophomore guard Freddie Riley never caught fire.

Nevertheless, Carter’s performance backed up what Kellogg and the rest of the team said prior to the start of the season: points can come from any player on any given night.

“I’m pretty sure that you can see that we have so many different weapons, so on any given night anybody can go off,” Carter said. “That’s the type of team we’re going to be this year.”

Carter is the second sophomore this season (Riley being the other) to lead the offense, alongside Gurley. Kellogg is looking for the second-year players to make more of an impact this year and the only sophomore who hasn’t had a big game so far is Terrell Vinson.

Carter, however, thinks that will change sooner rather than later.

“Yeah, that’s another weapon that you haven’t seen yet,” Carter said with a smile.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.