UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Carter improves game against Sacred Heart

Hannah Cohen/Collegian

On a night when the Massachusetts men’s basketball team didn’t receive more than 20 points from a single player, sophomore Sampson Carter had a career game to lead the offense alongside UMass’ top scorer, Anthony Gurley.

Carter scored 17 points, easily topping his previous career-high of 13 against St. Francis on Nov. 24, 2009, to help the Minutemen (2-0) defeat Sacred Heart, 73-65, Wednesday night at the Mullins Center. He also grabbed a game-high eight rebounds, as well as chipping in as a steal and a block in the victory.

The lanky forward shot 50 percent from the field on 5-of-10 shooting and converted 7-of-8 free throws. As a freshman, Carter led UMass in free throw shooting, making 40-of-52 (76.9 percent) of his chances at the charity stripe.

At times last year, Carter roamed the perimeter and opted for shots beyond the arc. This season, UMass head coach Derek Kellogg sees an improvement in Carter’s offensive game.

“You see he’s taking a lot less 3’s and he’s scoring more because he’s good around the rim, he can get by guys on the dribble, he’s good in transition and he’s a great kid that’s working hard,” Kellogg said.

“It took me a long time to figure it out, maybe a year since last year, but that’s what coach is helped me on,” Carter said. “I’m actually starting to see and realize that I get better results playing off my defense and that brings the offense.”

After averaging 15.4 minutes and starting seven games last year, Carter has seen an increase in playing time and has been in the starting lineup in the first two contests this season.

Against Rider, Carter played a team-high 30 minutes, scoring nine points and grabbing four rebounds. Kellogg, however, said that Carter would compete with Javorn Farrell when the guard becomes healthy.

Kellogg saw this type of potential in Carter when recruiting him to UMass. In fact, Kellogg knew the Baton Rouge, La., native since he was 10-years-old after coaching him at a summer camp in Memphis. Carter’s brother, Shyrone Chatman, is also the director of player personnel for the Minutemen.

Despite their close relationship, Kellogg hasn’t taken it easy on Carter.

“Sampson, he’s had a rough go of it here,” Kellogg said. “I’ve stayed on him probably on a daily basis for the last year and a half just because I want him to do the things that make him a good player.”

Though UMass’ result against the Pioneers (0-3) was the same as the season opener, the Minutemen got it done in a different way. Unlike the victory over Rider, UMass didn’t get a 31-point performance from Gurley, who still scored a team-high 18 points, and sophomore guard Freddie Riley never caught fire.

Nevertheless, Carter’s performance backed up what Kellogg and the rest of the team said prior to the start of the season: points can come from any player on any given night.

“I’m pretty sure that you can see that we have so many different weapons, so on any given night anybody can go off,” Carter said. “That’s the type of team we’re going to be this year.”

Carter is the second sophomore this season (Riley being the other) to lead the offense, alongside Gurley. Kellogg is looking for the second-year players to make more of an impact this year and the only sophomore who hasn’t had a big game so far is Terrell Vinson.

Carter, however, thinks that will change sooner rather than later.

“Yeah, that’s another weapon that you haven’t seen yet,” Carter said with a smile.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.