Earth Day Yogathon to promote breast cancer awareness and prevention -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass baseball’s winning streak ends in lost weekend in Saint Louis -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Spring Concert a huge success -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hillary Clinton is representing an ‘exhausted volcano’ -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass baseball set for UConn, Beanpot title vs. BC -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass tennis falls in heartbreaking fashion to VCU in A-10 finals -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass track and field sees strong showing at Holy Cross Invitational -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Police respond to large pig complaint over weekend -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

UMass hosts 34th annual Native American Powwow -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fun, local ways to stay active and in shape this semester -

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: April 20, 2015 -

Monday, April 20, 2015

Reports: UMass adds forward Antwan Space -

Monday, April 20, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse takes control in first half, hangs on against La Salle in Sunday win -

Sunday, April 19, 2015

UMass softball sweeps St. Bonaventure behind strong pitching from Caroline Raymond -

Sunday, April 19, 2015

UMass lacrosse proves triumphant in return to Garber Field -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse improves playoff chances with victory over Drexel -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

UMass notebook: Kitching shines, West Springfield’s Dan Jonah catches touchdown -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

A.J. Doyle looks forward to contributing in a tight end role -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Three up three down: Quarterback, defensive line play in focus for UMass -

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Mark Whipple: UMass football’s spring game a successful night -

Friday, April 17, 2015

UMass jumps 4 spots in ranking

The Massachusetts football team moved up four spots to No. 21 in the national Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) rankings this week after defeating Holy Cross in its season opener, 24-16, on Sept. 1.

“[It was] certainly an excellent win on the road,” UMass head coach Kevin Morris said in a UmassAthletics.com interview. “We started off a little slow at the quarterback position with Brandon Hill and Kellen Pagel trying to get their legs under them. But, we played well defensively throughout and we really won the game through field position, I think.”

Starting tailback Jonathan Hernandez played the biggest offensive role for the Maroon and White in their victory. The senior racked-up 151 rushing yards on 29 carries, the second-highest total in his career, and was vital to the offensive attack.

“We’re going to run our offense through Jon,” Morris said. “He’s such a cog in our wheel, he’s the guy we have to go to. He does it through taking a 3-yard run and making it 12 and a 12-yard run and making it 20. That’s just who he is and how he plays and I can’t be more excited about Jon and his production [in the first game].”

The Minutemen have plenty of company in the Top 25, as there are five teams on their schedule ranked 20th or higher. Beginning with a matchup against Delaware in October, UMass will play ranked opponents in five of its last six games. The only team that isn’t ranked in that span, Maine, is also receiving votes as a Top 25 team, and easily could be ranked by November when the Minutemen visit Orono.

Also highlighting the end of the season are games against New Hampshire, Richmond, Villanova and James Madison. Just like a season ago, UMass will once again travel to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. to play UNH in what many people are considering a preview of 2012, when UMass will play every home game there.

UMass isn’t letting its new ranking go to its head, as it knows it still has a lot of work to do to keep improving and move up even further in the national rankings.

Due to an early bye in week two of the season, the Minutemen were off this weekend, and will open up their home schedule on Saturday against Rhode Island at McGuirk Alumni Stadium. The game is slated for a 6:30 p.m. kickoff. Morris said it was particularly difficult to have a bye week so early in the season, but that the team has put it to good use.

“This is the first time we’ve ever had an off-week this early on,” Morris said. “Then, put that on top of the fact that we played Thursday night [last week], so we had Thursday through Saturday off and then the bye week after that.”

Morris also pointed out that since URI had a bye week in week one, there isn’t any game tape on them for him and his staff to watch prior to Saturday’s matchup. Collegiate programs prepare for upcoming games by watching film of other teams before playing against them. Since there is no film of URI, UMass is at a significant disadvantage.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.