Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutewomen face Huskies to start 4-game road trip

The Massachusetts field hockey team will try to break a three-game losing streak when it travels to Storrs, Conn. to take on No. 4 Connecticut Wednesday night.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

UMass currently stands at 2-6 overall while UConn is at 7-1. The Minutewomen are struggling of late, with three consecutive losses to ranked teams, the most recent of which came against No. 17 Boston University last Friday, when they lost 3-0. UConn is coming off a 4-0 win against Big East opponent Providence last Saturday.

The Maroon and White played in heavy rain at Garber Field against the Terriers. In the first half, UMass played well and in the 17th minute, junior Kim Young fired a shot that just ringed off the goalpost keeping the game scoreless. The Terriers took the lead just before halftime when they scored on a broken corner play with three minutes, 52 seconds remaining.

In the second half, the Minutewomen were outplayed by their counterparts.

The team was outshot, 11-5, and its usually-dependable goaltender, Alesha Widdall, gave up two more goals. Widdall finished with eight saves for UMass while Jess Maroney rejected six attempts against the Terriers.

UConn. the victor in its first six games, didn’t get its first tally in the loss column until a week ago against No. 6 Boston College. Since then, the Huskies have played one game, a 4-0 victory over Providence on Saturday.

The Huskies came out firing against the Friars last weekend to move their Big East record to 2-0. Freshman Chloe Hunnable led the Huskies to victory, scoring three goals in the contest. Maria Elena Bolles helped out as well, recording three assists and a shot on goal. UConn goalie Sarah Mansfield turned away four shots in the shutout effort.

The UMass defense will be tested against the high-scoring Huskies offense that has amassed 27 goals already this season. The scoring is spread around evenly amongst the Terriers’ front line, with four players who have scored at least four goals. Hunnable, despite starting just one game, leads the team with seven goals, followed by Ali Blankmeyer and Jestine Angelini each with five.

“It’s the second and third shots that are hurting us right now,” said UMass coach Carla Tagliente. “Most of the goals we’re giving up are on second and third shot opportunities so it’ll be important for people to make sure they are marking their person and boxing out on defense.”

UConn is solid defensively, allowing just seven goals in eight games and Mansfield has already recorded four shutouts between the pipes. Also, the Huskies have doubled the amount of shots that they’ve allowed to their opponents including a 59-36 edge in penalty corners.

The Minutewomen have scored 11 goals this season, with four players at the two-goal mark. Widdall could be the difference-maker for UMass as she has a 2.72 goals-against average and the Huskies are averaging over three goals in each game.

“We’ll look at film and figure out what we need to do but we’re not going to reinvent the wheel right now,” said Tagliente. “We have some basic fundamental skill work to work on but we’ll fix those things.”

Last season the two teams met on Sept. 11, resulting in a 1-0 victory for the Minutewomen. The Huskies were ranked No. 4 in the country in that game as well, when then-freshman Lindsay Bowman led UMass to the upset with a goal in the 20th minute. It was the first of Bowman’s career and helped the Maroon and White pick up their first victory over UConn since 2000. Widdall finished that game with six saves including the most crucial one with 33 seconds left in regulation.

The Huskies are 5-1 at home this season while the Minutewomen are 1-1 on the road. The game is the first of a four-game road trip for UMass, which will finish up its non-conference schedule with No. 5 Syracuse this weekend. The game is set for a 7:00 p.m. start under the lights.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.