UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Minutemen fall, 48-33, despite 26-point rally

Big performances from redshirt sophomore quarterback Kellen Pagel and senior running back Jonathan Hernandez were not enough to lead the Massachusetts football team over Old Dominion on Saturday at Ballard Field, as the Minutemen fell, 48-33.

With nine minutes left to play in the second quarter, the Minutemen seemed destined for a second-consecutive loss as they found themselves down, 25-0.

However, the Minutemen came roaring back with a 26-point run of their own and the game was up for grabs as the game headed  into the fourth quarter.

Old Dominion’s Jarod Brown kicked a 43-yard field goal to cap the Monarchs’ opening drive which lasted three minutes, 38 seconds.

ODU didn’t look back from there, as redshirt senior quarterback Thomas DeMarco engineered three consecutive scoring drives, all of which ended with a touchdown pass. The third touchdown capped the Monarchs’ run, as junior receiver Nick Mayers hauled in his second touchdown, a 35-yard pass for the score.

Down by 25 and unable to get anything going up to that point, Pagel settled in with just over six minutes left in the half as he put together a 14-play, 80-yard drive which ended when Pagel found redshirt senior tight end Emil Igwenagu for a 10-yard touchdown to make it 25-12 in favor of the Monarchs at the half.

Pagel came out firing in the second half, using all of his weapons, as redshirt senior receiver Julian Talley and senior receiver Jesse Julmiste both caught touchdown passes on consecutive drives to pull the Minutemen within six with 12 minutes, 49 seconds  to go in the third.

Julmiste’s touchdown was the final touchdown pass of the game for Pagel, who was replaced by Brandon Hill in the fourth quarter after suffering an injury. Pagel finished 25-for-40 for 245 yards, a career-high three touchdowns and two interceptions.

The Minutemen took their first lead with five minutes, 30 seconds left in the third when Hernandez broke off an 8-yard touchdown run to put UMass up, 26-25.

The Monarchs proceeded to put together their second impressive run, rattling off 23-consecutive points behind freshman quarterback Tayler Heinicke who substituted for the injured DeMarco.

The Minutemen had one final bright spot with about a minute left in the game, when Hill threw a touchdown pass to freshman wideout Marken Michel.

Despite the loss, UMass proved that it can still count on its veterans.

Hernandez led the way on the ground, finishing with 25 carries for 121 yards and a touchdown.

In the air, Pagel looked to all of his senior receivers. Igwenagu finished with a career-high 10 receptions for 85 yards and a touchdown. Julian Talley finished with seven receptions for 82 yards and fellow senior Tom Gilson finished with six receptions for 72 yards. Julmiste added four receptions for 51 yards and a touchdown.

The Minutemen return to action on Oct. 8 when they host Central Connecticut on Band Day at McGuirk Stadium.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutemen fall, 48-33, despite 26-point rally”
  1. I was there to watch the debacle. I don’t know if UMASS wasn’t prepared or took the game too lightly. For the most part, UMASS’ secondary didn’t exist. For a short period the team galvanized and started to play, only to return to a poorly run offense and defense. To be fair, ODU kept the ball away from Hernandez who was quite impressive. Until he was hurt, Pagel did a good job, unfortunately his receivers could not get open and the running game was poor. I don’t blame the players, it seemed to be the coaching. I was there with another alumnus and we kept wondering when adjustments would be made, particularly on defense.

On the bright side, it was good having the opportunity to see UMASS play and I wish them well for the remainder of the season.

Henry Bouffard
    p.s. My friend and I also had to suffer the indignity of our wives wearing ODU sweatshirts. —hpb