Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutemen fall, 48-33, despite 26-point rally

Big performances from redshirt sophomore quarterback Kellen Pagel and senior running back Jonathan Hernandez were not enough to lead the Massachusetts football team over Old Dominion on Saturday at Ballard Field, as the Minutemen fell, 48-33.

With nine minutes left to play in the second quarter, the Minutemen seemed destined for a second-consecutive loss as they found themselves down, 25-0.

However, the Minutemen came roaring back with a 26-point run of their own and the game was up for grabs as the game headed  into the fourth quarter.

Old Dominion’s Jarod Brown kicked a 43-yard field goal to cap the Monarchs’ opening drive which lasted three minutes, 38 seconds.

ODU didn’t look back from there, as redshirt senior quarterback Thomas DeMarco engineered three consecutive scoring drives, all of which ended with a touchdown pass. The third touchdown capped the Monarchs’ run, as junior receiver Nick Mayers hauled in his second touchdown, a 35-yard pass for the score.

Down by 25 and unable to get anything going up to that point, Pagel settled in with just over six minutes left in the half as he put together a 14-play, 80-yard drive which ended when Pagel found redshirt senior tight end Emil Igwenagu for a 10-yard touchdown to make it 25-12 in favor of the Monarchs at the half.

Pagel came out firing in the second half, using all of his weapons, as redshirt senior receiver Julian Talley and senior receiver Jesse Julmiste both caught touchdown passes on consecutive drives to pull the Minutemen within six with 12 minutes, 49 seconds  to go in the third.

Julmiste’s touchdown was the final touchdown pass of the game for Pagel, who was replaced by Brandon Hill in the fourth quarter after suffering an injury. Pagel finished 25-for-40 for 245 yards, a career-high three touchdowns and two interceptions.

The Minutemen took their first lead with five minutes, 30 seconds left in the third when Hernandez broke off an 8-yard touchdown run to put UMass up, 26-25.

The Monarchs proceeded to put together their second impressive run, rattling off 23-consecutive points behind freshman quarterback Tayler Heinicke who substituted for the injured DeMarco.

The Minutemen had one final bright spot with about a minute left in the game, when Hill threw a touchdown pass to freshman wideout Marken Michel.

Despite the loss, UMass proved that it can still count on its veterans.

Hernandez led the way on the ground, finishing with 25 carries for 121 yards and a touchdown.

In the air, Pagel looked to all of his senior receivers. Igwenagu finished with a career-high 10 receptions for 85 yards and a touchdown. Julian Talley finished with seven receptions for 82 yards and fellow senior Tom Gilson finished with six receptions for 72 yards. Julmiste added four receptions for 51 yards and a touchdown.

The Minutemen return to action on Oct. 8 when they host Central Connecticut on Band Day at McGuirk Stadium.

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “Minutemen fall, 48-33, despite 26-point rally”
  1. I was there to watch the debacle. I don’t know if UMASS wasn’t prepared or took the game too lightly. For the most part, UMASS’ secondary didn’t exist. For a short period the team galvanized and started to play, only to return to a poorly run offense and defense. To be fair, ODU kept the ball away from Hernandez who was quite impressive. Until he was hurt, Pagel did a good job, unfortunately his receivers could not get open and the running game was poor. I don’t blame the players, it seemed to be the coaching. I was there with another alumnus and we kept wondering when adjustments would be made, particularly on defense.

On the bright side, it was good having the opportunity to see UMASS play and I wish them well for the remainder of the season.

Henry Bouffard
    p.s. My friend and I also had to suffer the indignity of our wives wearing ODU sweatshirts. —hpb