Jury finds Emmanuel Bile Jr. guilty of two counts of aggravated rape in UMass gang rape trial -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Kickin’ Back Dance Crew looks to emerge as its own dance club -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Hird appointed dean of College of Social and Behavioral Sciences -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass women’s lax cruises to 17-7 win over George Mason -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Earl Sweatshirt explores his dark side on great sophomore album -

Monday, March 30, 2015

East Village explosion painful, revealing -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Courtney Barnett offers unique outlook on life on debut album -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Lessons learned from a boy band -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Angela McMahon earns 100th career win in UMass women’s lacrosse’s win over George Mason -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Cornell professor explores education, politics and inequality -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass softball swept by St. Joseph’s -

Monday, March 30, 2015

Kendrick Lamar’s ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’ is a wild, unpredictable masterpiece -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass baseball falls 8-0 to VCU in series finale -

Monday, March 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse’s win streak snapped in battle with No. 18 Towson -

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Closing arguments presented, jury deliberations begin Friday in first of four 2012 gang rape trials -

Friday, March 27, 2015

UMass library opens groundbreaking 3D printing lab -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Defendant in 2012 gang rape case says accuser consented to sex -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

For the love of the craft: UMass Juggling Club -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

UMass lacrosse looks for fourth straight victory versus Towson -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The dark, twisty special on Robert Durst proves that, yet again, humanity’s biggest “Jinx” is hubris -

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Minutewomen look to clinch Atlantic 10 title

Geoff King/Collegian

In a weekend where it faced off against two Atlantic 10 conference opponents, the undefeated Massachusetts’s field hockey moved to the top of the conference standings.

After beating La Salle in a decisive 2-0 shutout at home last Friday, the Minutewomen (7-9 overall, 5-0 A-10) traveled to Philadelphia and defeated then-undefeated Temple in a 2-1 overtime decision. After defeating the Owls, UMass moved into sole possession of first place in the A-10.

In a hard-fought battle for both teams, the Minutewomen were ultimately able to pull away, with the highlight coming from senior Nikki Panciocco, who scored 6:53 into overtime to secure the win.

It was a come-from-behind win, away from their home turf, making it clear that UMass was not ready to relinquish its title of reigning A-10 Champions. Had the Owls won, they would be primed to finish the season atop the standings. Now, at the very least, the Minutewomen have secured a share of the regular season conference title.

On Friday at 1 p.m., UMass will take on the Richmond as part of Senior Day in its last A-10 conference game of the season and their second-to-last regular season game. With a win, the Minutewomen can clinch their fourth conference title in the past five years. A conference victory would also mark the second-straight season in which the Minutewomen went undefeated in their conference schedule.

At 3-1, the Spiders currently sit third in the conference behind Temple. Unlike most of the other conference teams, Richmond had much success during their non-conference schedule in which it went 11-6. The Spiders are the only team in the A-10 to be above .500 in out-of-conference play.

Richmond’s most potent weapon is senior Katelin Peterson, and the Minutewomen must keep a close defensive eye on her throughout the contest.

Peterson, whose 42 career goals ranks her fourth all-time on Richmond’s goal list, was named last week’s Atlantic 10 Player of the Week after scoring three goals and adding one assist during the Spiders’ wins over conference foe Saint Joseph’s and non-conference opponent Radford.

Peterson’s freshman teammate Rebecca Barry has also been hot of late, earning Co-Rookie of the Week honors following her two goals in the Spiders 6-3 defeat over Saint Joseph’s. Barry, an Ireland native, is in the top-10 in the conference in points, with seven in four conference games.

The young defensive back line of the Minutewomen will have their hands full with the talented, dynamic duo of Peterson and Barry. They will have to rely on the “push-up” on defense and “bombard the net” on offense mentality if they want to beat the Spiders and clinch the A-10 title.

The Minutewomen will round out their regular season on Sunday when they travel to Providence to take on the Friars at 2 p.m.

Matt Strong can be reached at mstrong@student.umass.edu