UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Kellogg features depth during UMass win

Erica Baptiste/Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s basketball team stepped onto the court Wednesday night in an unfamiliar fashion.

For the first time this season, their floor general, Chaz Williams, and greatest 3-point threat, Freddie Riley, found a seat on the bench to begin the game. The duo had started all seven games prior to this point but were benched for reasons unrelated to discipline, according to UMass head coach Derek Kellogg.

“I wanted to let them know that really there is no set lineup and that the way things went in the Bahamas I wasn’t happy with and I thought that maybe shaking it up a little bit would get their attention,” said Kellogg.

Riley and Williams both struggled in the Bahamas in certain situations. In two of the three games in the Bahamas, Riley shot a combined 1-for-12 on 3-pointers, while Williams, the team’s leader in assists, failed to register a single dime in the team’s final game of the tournament.

The unexpected move was not just about getting through to Riley and Williams, Kellogg saw this as an opportunity to get backup point guard Jesse Morgan and wingman Raphiael Putney much deserved minutes.

“It helped get Jesse some minutes at the point, and it was [going] to help Putney get some more playing time,” said Kellogg.

Putney responded well, going 4-for-4 in the first half and tallying all 10 of his points in the first 20 minutes of the game.

Kellogg was particularly pleased with Morgan’s effort as he who tossed in eight points and added a season-high nine assists.

“I thought he did a great job,” said Kellogg. “For us to be better he’s got to get better and he showed great signs in the Bahamas and I thought he showed some great signs tonight.”

Despite their absences from the starting lineup, both Riley and Williams made significant contributions.

Riley led the Minutemen with 15 points, highlighted by a pair of dunks and three 3-pointers. Williams finished just behind Riley in scoring with 12 points, and continued his dazzling play at the point guard position, dishing out eight assists.

Kellogg was pleased that coming off the bench had little effect on two of his most important players.

“Really it’s just all how they are attitude-wise,” said Kellogg.  “If they come in and they’re excited and ready to play I don’t think that affects them too much.”

Ultimately, the benching meant little in terms of minutes played for Riley and Williams.

Riley played 16 minutes, a number that surely would have been higher if the score hadn’t gotten so out of hand. Morgan and Cady Lalanne led the Minutemen in minutes played with 28, but despite the benching, Williams finished right behind them playing 25 minutes, another number that likely took a hit given the score in the second half.

In the end, Riley and Williams proved there’s truly no difference between starting a game and coming in off of the bench, a point Kellogg has attempted to stress to his players ad nauseam this season.

“I’ve really tried to sell [to] these guys [there are] 10-11 starters,” he said. “I don’t know how much kids these days buy that but that’s what I’m going with.”

Judging by Riley’s reaction to the benching after the game, Kellogg’s philosophy has rubbed off on him.

“I’m comfortable with whatever role coach wants me to play in,” said Riley.

UMass now heads out to Miami to face another ACC opponent. Kellogg isn’t entirely sure how the starting five will look for that game.

“I’m not sure about that, I think we’ll reevaluate game-by-game and play-to-play of who’s starting,” said Kellogg.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.