Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

UMass tops Seton Hall, advances to NIT quarterfinals

Even an early 11 a.m. start time couldn’t prevent the Massachusetts men’s basketball team’s season from continuing.

Playing in yet another win or go home situation, UMass (24-11) prevailed, as it knocked off top-seeded Seton Hall, 77-67, in a hostile, sold out Walsh Gymnasium on Saturday, to move on to the quarterfinal round of the National Invitation Tournament.

“I was happy with the final outcome, I thought the victory was nice for the team,” said UMass coach Derek Kellogg in a postgame radio interview. “I was happy with the way the kids persevered and fought [coming] into a tough environment.”

With six minutes, 42 seconds remaining in the game, UMass found itself in a four-point hole, trailing 60-56, after commanding most of the game. But just as they have done so often in recent weeks, the Minutemen persevered.

Terrell Vinson kick started a run with an and-1 off of a feed from Chaz Williams. And after Sean Carter made a reverse layup and Williams hit back-to-back free throws, UMass was back out in front, 63-60, with 5:02 left.

Seton Hall didn’t back down, though. Herb Pope answered a Vinson jumper with two free throws to make it a one-point game with 3:24 left. But with a chance to take the lead on the ensuing possession, Fuquan Edwin turned the ball over.

Vinson then found Williams, who buried a huge 3-pointer to extend the Minutemen’s lead to 68-64. On the Pirates’ next possession, Pope turned the ball over again, and on the other end, Williams returned the favor, passing it to Vinson, who drained a deep 3-pointer to give UMass a 71-64 lead with 1:38 to go.

Those two shots proved to be the difference makers. A Jordan Theodore and-1 with 54 seconds remaining narrowed it to a five-point game, but it proved to be too little, too late. The Minutemen made their free throws in the waning seconds to preserve the victory and keep their season alive.

Williams played all 40 minutes and finished with 20 points, seven rebounds and six assists. Raphiael Putney scored 15 points and Sean Carter chipped in a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds, while Maxie Esho came off the bench and scored nine points – which all came in the first half.

“It was a good total team effort, from the way Maxie, Freddie [Riley] and Javorn [Farrell] played at times coming off the bench to the guys that started, I thought we had a nice eight-man rotation,” said Kellogg. “The kids are confident right now. They’re playing pretty hard and we’re competing at a high level.”

UMass was in control for most of the first half, and were on top by as much as 11 midway through. But Seton Hall came back, narrowing its deficit to six by halftime.

In the second half, the Pirates slowed the game down while chipping away at the Minutemen’s lead. A Pope layup gave them a 54-53 lead with 9:33 to go in the game, but that didn’t deter Williams and his teammates.

“We just wanted to stick to our game plan and just keep playing,” said Williams. “Coach always says that no matter what the other team does, as long as we play UMass basketball, nobody can compete with us.”

The fifth-seeded Minutemen will now await the winner of tomorrow’s matchup between Drexel and Northern Iowa for a Tuesday night date in the quarterfinals.

If the seventh-seeded Panthers win, then UMass will host Tuesday’s game at the Mullins Center. If the third-seeded Dragons come out on top, the Minutemen will go on the road to Philadelphia, where Kellogg and former UMass coach and current Drexel coach Bruiser Flint will square off.

“I’d love to see him win,” said Kellogg. “I think it would be a great game for the UMass family, the people that appreciated what he did up at UMass and it would also be a great game for television.”

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at shewitt@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Hewitt.